Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Near-perfect Brew Day  (Read 3887 times)

Offline cheshirecat

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Near-perfect Brew Day
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 10:48:45 am »
I like to do both. Most of the time it's just me, which is great since I can really concentrate on what I doing. Usually when I am brewing I don't have high expectations for the beer since I am also drinking and hanging out. But group brew days are fun every now and then.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 12:03:38 pm »
The OP's description sounds a lot like our brew day yesterday.  Since I got a large conical, I've enlisted a friend to help me fill it every so often.  Its a nice change of pace to brewing by myself and I appreciate the help on a 15gal batch.  The only thing about brewing with a friend is that we tend to break out some beers early on, and drinking too early in the process makes the last steps (especially cleanup) less enjoyable.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline timberati

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norm
    • Batch-22
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 12:33:55 pm »
This is what I love about brewing! :D

I suppose unless you're doing it professionally and it becomes a major job complete with worrying about payrolls, profits, outputs, and bottom lines; brewing beer with or without friends is one of the most satisfying things you can do. If you do it alone you're able to think about the process and are able to concentrate on perfection. If you brew with friends and family the process becomes collaborative and about enjoying where you are in the moment. My only concern about a party with kids near boiling liquid would be making sure that said liquid and said kids (and dogs) were kept far enough away from each other. Nothing spoils a great brew day like a trip to the emergency room. So a little pre-planning pays off in a great day.

Nicely done, Tony.
Cervesariis Feliciter
Batch-22 http://52beers.wordpress.com/
Twitter: timberati

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 01:29:59 pm »
I only say near-perfect because i don't want to jinx my next session. :)

Had some friends over on thursday to help me brew because they were interested in the process and may want to start homebrewing themselves. Everything went smoothly and they had a blast. I let them add the grains, stir the mash, vorlauf, etc etc while I instructed them during the whole process, they even helped me clean up!

We spent the whole day brewing, eating bbq, drinking beers and laughing while the kids played in the yard. Such a great day!

btw, the SNPA Clone we brewed is bubbling away and smells great!

I highly recommend having people over to help you brew, it made my brew day just that much better.

Tony
I too experienced a near-perfect brew day, yesterday!  Howerer, I was a little concerned that my OG came in way too low.  I just realized this afternoon that I forgot to add the dark Belgian candi syrup for my Abby Dubbel recipe.  But, now I can stop worrying, because on another thread, I've been assured that I can simply add the syrup to my fermentor when I get home.  I feel so much better now!   ;D
Scott B

Offline mosgood

• 1st Kit
  • @reviewbrews
    • Review Brews
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 04:03:40 pm »
My friends are definitely not interested in brewing. They will, however suck down all my beer when they are over. I prefer not to have the distraction. 8)

Kudos on the BBQ-Brewing event. Sounds like a good way to keep the wives and kids happy while the brewer(s) gets to working.

+1

throw on some tunes, crack one open, and enjoy some "free" time.
In fridge: Half Baked (Session IPA brewed on 4/20)
Aging: Ivan Drago Russian Imperial Stout aged w/ whiskey soaked oak chips (October?)
Up next: Honey Apricot Wheat