Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: extract rye ipa  (Read 10080 times)

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
extract rye ipa
« on: February 21, 2012, 06:46:28 pm »
So I was thinking when i have the time my next beer will be an rye ipa. my question is with an extract batch can use rye grains with light LME or DME? I have seen the new northern brewer rye extract, but i can drive to the LBHS for cheaper than shipping the extract to my house. also with a rye ipa do i need to add more hops?
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: extract rye ipa
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 06:53:47 pm »
You should do a mini mash with the rye. You can google instructions for that. After that add the extract and proceed as usual.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 06:54:08 pm »
I helped develop the NB Rye IPA extract recipe.  I think the extract is really good, but you can also do it as you describe.  One advantage of the NB extract is that it has the same percentages of pale, crystal, and rye as my original recipe, so you don't have to add much else. One way to go would be to follow the hopping for the NB recipe.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 09:37:12 pm »
ok, thanks  i will re-look at the recipe again.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline timmyr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 04:14:54 pm »
I helped develop the NB Rye IPA extract recipe.  I think the extract is really good, but you can also do it as you describe.  One advantage of the NB extract is that it has the same percentages of pale, crystal, and rye as my original recipe, so you don't have to add much else. One way to go would be to follow the hopping for the NB recipe.

Bravo Denny!  That extract is great.  I just bought a new 10 gal pot so I could do 5-6 gal extract batches again to save some time and fool around.  I made a fresh-cascade Rye Ale with that extract and some Caramunich 80.  Fresh wet cascades in the whirlpool, fresh dry cascades in Hoprocket, fermenter and keg.

That extract has a real nice rye spice to it.
Cheers,

Timmy

On
APA
American Brown
Harvest Rye
New England Cider
Soon
More Cider

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 05:36:36 pm »
Way to go Denny!

Congrats on your signature recipe kit at NB!  :)
Ron Price

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 09:41:19 am »
Way to go Denny!

Thanks, Ron.  They've been selling an AG kit of it for  while, but had the rye extract developed for them so they could do an extract version.  The also sell a kit of my Waldo Lake amber.  And no, I get nothing for them other than knowing that people get to try the beers.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 10:31:07 am »
Way to go Denny!

Thanks, Ron.  They've been selling an AG kit of it for  while, but had the rye extract developed for them so they could do an extract version.  The also sell a kit of my Waldo Lake amber.  And no, I get nothing for them other than knowing that people get to try the beers.

Well that's a lot more recognition than most everyone...and you are very deserving of this recognition, for having signature beer kits sold at a prominent online store.  :)
Ron Price

Offline timmyr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 08:31:09 pm »
...and now it's an award winner.  This will now be my go-to extract for future small batches.  Thanks Denny.
Cheers,

Timmy

On
APA
American Brown
Harvest Rye
New England Cider
Soon
More Cider