Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Something rotten in the state of Illninois  (Read 5626 times)

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Something rotten in the state of Illninois
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 09:06:46 pm »
I hate taxes, especially the alcohol related ones.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 09:19:14 pm »
I thought I posted, but it didn't post... So here goes again.

Here in Illinois, distributors basically have a geographic monopoly.  You have no choices and must play by their rules and pay whatever they extract.  I think there are 3 major distributors.

Bell's chose to stay out of the state for years due to this fact.  So the atmosphere is clearly limiting consumer choices.

Distributors also have a powerful lobby in Springfield protecting their interests.

I like bridges and roads, too, but I don't like my taxes subsidizing businesses that are extracting high profits and controlling market prices.

For perspective, our income tax rate here in Illinois was increase 66%, so we're sensitive to taxes.

Oh, and charities are losing their non-profit benefits here as well.  But the tax preferred status of non-profits is a whole different topic.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 09:49:08 pm by Joe Sr. »
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2012, 07:21:15 am »
Here's some good perspective on the situation:

http://www.libationlawblog.com/libationlawblogcom/2012/4/20/illinois-homebrewers-do-we-have-to-leave-our-beer-at-home.html

While the Illinois Liquor Control Commission cites safety as one of their reasons for not allowing homebrew at the festival, we all know it's really about the money. I'm not surprised that they don't want to allow it at a paid-admission beer festival. The scary part is the comments they are making about where homebrew can be served, only at someone's home. I think they may be over-reaching on their interpretation of the law in that respect.
Mark Gres

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2012, 07:39:56 am »
Here's some good perspective on the situation:

http://www.libationlawblog.com/libationlawblogcom/2012/4/20/illinois-homebrewers-do-we-have-to-leave-our-beer-at-home.html

While the Illinois Liquor Control Commission cites safety as one of their reasons for not allowing homebrew at the festival, we all know it's really about the money. I'm not surprised that they don't want to allow it at a paid-admission beer festival. The scary part is the comments they are making about where homebrew can be served, only at someone's home. I think they may be over-reaching on their interpretation of the law in that respect.

this is what angered me about the article. not just for this festival.  to me it implies that if you don't drink it at your own home it should be taxed.  I am not saying they are going after everyone who takes beer to the beer club, it is just this attitude in this state that all of our money belongs to them and by their good grace i am allowed to feed my damn kids.
Don AHA member

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2012, 08:17:42 am »
Give me liberty or give me death.  Home brew is regulated sufficiently by the 200 gallon per year limit.  You are a homebrewer if you do not exceed this limit.  You must be 21 to drink or possess alcohol. No other rules should apply to giving beer away by homebrewers.  Paid admission to an event is not the sale of beer.  The State of Illinois is so backwards as to be a joke.  Our governors rarely exhibit leadership - they usually are led by special interests.

Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
Re: Re: Something rotten in the state of Illninois
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2012, 08:28:15 am »
Give me liberty or give me death.  Home brew is regulated sufficiently by the 200 gallon per year limit.  You are a homebrewer if you do not exceed this limit.  You must be 21 to drink or possess alcohol. No other rules should apply to giving beer away by homebrewers.  Paid admission to an event is not the sale of beer.  The State of Illinois is so backwards as to be a joke.  Our governors rarely exhibit leadership - they usually are led by special interests.
Our governors are usually in jail. ;)
Mark Gres

Offline spikedhelmet

• Retailers
  • 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2012, 03:54:33 pm »
Just came from the Peoria Beer Festival.  It seems the only people hurt by the ridiculous exclusion of homebrew from the event where the Jaycees and the charities they support.  The attendence was definitely down.  Some of the participants were wearing t-shirts with "Where's the Homebrew"!

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2012, 10:02:37 pm »
it is just this attitude in this state that all of our money belongs to them and by their good grace i am allowed to feed my damn kids.

We really are in need of good doctors here on Hawaii Island Don.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2012, 10:55:02 pm »
It seems to me that the solution to this problem is to call the sampling of homebrews at the festival a "competition".  People can vote on their favorites and even provide scoring sheets.  I don't think it says anywhere that a competition has to be BJCP certified, who can be a beer judge, or even how many judges there can be.