Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beaker vs. flask  (Read 3702 times)

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
Beaker vs. flask
« on: April 20, 2012, 01:44:47 am »
Just wondering if using a beaker for starters has any inherent problems that I'm not considering.  A 2L Bomex beaker can be purchased for less than $8.  I would be using the beaker with a stir plate.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 01:46:53 am by roguejim »

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: Beaker vs. flask
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 02:01:29 am »
CYO
cover your orifice.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 05:44:21 am »
I don't see why it would make a difference what you use so long as you can cover the top and have it work on your stir plate.  I used a gallon jug and a gallon plastic pail before.
Dave Zach

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 06:18:03 am »
Another thought would be in handling.  It's easy to grab a flask by the neck with an over mitt.  You'll probably need two hands with a beaker.  Could be awkward after boiling.
Dave Zach

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 11:40:41 am »
I use 1L beakers to rehydrate dry yeast. 

I use erlenmyer flasks to grow up starters (from slants), but have switched to 1.5L wine jugs for the final step with starters.  When starting from a smak-pack it goes straight into a wine jug.

Cheap and easy wine jugs are.

Invest in some flask tongs.  They are cheap too.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 11:53:06 am »
I don't boil in them but I use .5 gallon mason jars for my starters. Once I get organized I intend to run off some extra wort from each light colored mash and preasure can 1 quart per half gallon jar so it's just a matter of pulling the jar out of the cupboard, cracking the seal, pitching the yeast and done. Drop the dome lid losely on top and I won't even need sanitized foil. my preasure canner will handle 2 or 3 half gallons which is really all I should need from any given brew day
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 12:15:05 pm »
I don't boil in them but I use .5 gallon mason jars for my starters. Once I get organized I intend to run off some extra wort from each light colored mash and preasure can 1 quart per half gallon jar so it's just a matter of pulling the jar out of the cupboard, cracking the seal, pitching the yeast and done. Drop the dome lid losely on top and I won't even need sanitized foil. my preasure canner will handle 2 or 3 half gallons which is really all I should need from any given brew day

You're using a stirplate with the mason jars?  I thought their bottoms were concave.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 12:18:27 pm »
You can use a double boiler for the beakers.

I use sanitized wide-mouth mason jars and just pour the boiling wort in there. Cover the top loosely with the lid and cool in water bath. Pitch yeast and cover with foil.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 12:26:46 pm »

You're using a stirplate with the mason jars?  I thought their bottoms were concave.

nope, don't use a stir plate. I shake it up everytime I walk past and my wife has standing orders to do the same. I don't know that I beleive that you really get much o2 into the wort with a stir plate, particularly in a flask. I am sure there is some but I feel like a good shake now and again will get the air above the wort more saturated with o2 than the constant gentle spinning of the stir plate. I have 0 science to support this however.

**EDIT to be pedantic about my own post**
I suspect that 'more saturated' is not a valid phrase in the same way 'more unique' is not valid. I appologize.

Also, in reference to the SWMBO thread, Let me change 'Standing Order' to 'Standing Request'  :D
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 01:57:36 pm by morticaixavier »
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 12:33:43 pm »
Recently on Brewstrong they said they got more ppm O2 from flooding the headspace and using a mixstir than using an oxygen stone.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis