Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Melanoidin Malt - I added too much?  (Read 16201 times)

Offline TrippleRippleBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
Melanoidin Malt - I added too much?
« on: April 16, 2012, 08:39:38 am »
So last weekend I brewed 10 gallons Helles with a buddy of mine. My first 10 gallon batch using my Keggle. We split it into two carboys for separate fermentation.

Anyway, I basically followed the recipe in "Brewing Classic Styles" which calls for 1.051 OG, Pilsner malt base, and a small addition of Munich as well as Melanoidin malt. I had all the grains together with the exception of the Melanoidin malt because I didn't have any, or so I thought.

His recipe was for 5.5 gallons and he calls for .25lbs Melanoidin. I found a pound of Weyerman Melanoidin in my grain storage bin and decided to add it.

I mistakenly threw in the whole pound, thinking his addition was spec'd at .5lb for 5.5 gallons. Keeping in mind this is in a grist for 11 gallons using 20lbs Pils malt and 1.5lbs Munich. A small percentage but still....

The wort looked pretty reddish gold!

Any thoughts on how this will end up?
I've not used this malt very often and last time it was in a Red beer so.....

TIA

I've

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Melanoidin Malt - I added too much?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 08:55:15 am »
It's not totally over the top but I think the result will not be quite as light and refreshing as it would have been. 1 lb in 11 gallons it not bad. RDWHAHB!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 09:59:02 am »
Looks like you will have a good Oktoberfest / Marzen beer instead of a Helles.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 10:29:35 am »
It'll be a nudge in the maibock-ish direction, but it'd still be really good.

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 11:53:11 am »
It'll be a nudge in the maibock-ish direction, but it'd still be really good.

This is kind of what I figured. Just wasn't sure how much effect the melanoidin would have or how it's going to taste. I've overdone it with other grains in the past and not been happy, particularly Belgian Special B.

I plan to brew this again very soon, skipping the melanoidin malt altogether and making a starter among other things.

Thanks to all who have replied.

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 12:33:02 pm »
This turned out GREAT. Still some time needed to clarify a bit more but I'm drinking it as-is. The Melanoid malt added an interesting richness to the beer that's hard to describe but I really like it.

This is my first Helles and about the only thing I will say is strange when I drink this beer I'm expecting a hit of Saaz in the finish and it's not there, because there isn't any! I'm so used to Bopils  and German Pils that I just naturally expect it and Helles doesn't have it. The beer is still great.

I plan to brew another lager soon.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 05:47:09 am »
This turned out GREAT. Still some time needed to clarify a bit more but I'm drinking it as-is. The Melanoid malt added an interesting richness to the beer that's hard to describe but I really like it.

This is my first Helles and about the only thing I will say is strange when I drink this beer I'm expecting a hit of Saaz in the finish and it's not there, because there isn't any! I'm so used to Bopils  and German Pils that I just naturally expect it and Helles doesn't have it. The beer is still great.

I plan to brew another lager soon.

What about the color?  Did it have a reddish hue?

Dave
Dave Zach

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 06:00:11 am »
Red color?
In the glass it definitely does not look red at all.
It's just gold. A carboy full of it looks almost amber though.
It has a rich color and a fair amount of body for the style.
It's not quite as crisp and refreshing as I would like.

I don't believe there's quite enough hops bitterness here either.
2oz of Tettnanger in 10gal is just not quite enough particularly with all the added Melanoidin and Munich adding flavor and body. It's a bit sweet and rich for what I wanted but it's drinkable. I don't mind the malty flavors though.

I don't blame the style at all. It's my fault for not adding quite enough IBU and blowing the character grains math.

I want to use a similar malt bill for another 10gal batch but hop it up with some Magnum for bittering and maybe a blend of Tettnanager and Hallertau or Saaz for flavor and aroma. Go for around 30 IBU and brew a Pils style instead with this grist.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 06:05:43 pm »
I would go to 35-40 IBU for a pilsner.  The excess melanoidin will smooth out the flavor abit, but really doesn't do much to the color at 20SRM.  In ten gallons it might add around 1 SRM.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim