Author Topic: Running - What have I gotten myself into?  (Read 12328 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
Re: Running - What have I gotten myself into?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 12:28:55 PM »
walking briskly is great .... for 65 year old and up and overweight women.  ;)
Keith Y.
Self appointed "All Grain" section pruner

Offline beersk

• Senior Brewmaster
  • In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 12:29:55 PM »
Cool, let's see if you can run 6 miles a day when you're 85. 
Watch out for those Cross Dressing Amateurs!

Online gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 12:33:51 PM »
The run is at the end of August so I figure I've got a decent amount of time to train.  I'm sure not gonna do it cold.  That's why I picked the C25K program. Supposedly it's a good program for easing you into it. 

Yes, my back hurts but that's more to do with my weight than anything else so I'm going to hope that losing a bit of weight through running might actually help.  I can say from experience that losing a bunch of weight helped before (and then I gained it all back...). 

My friend is a big runner (marathons and 1/2 marathons etc) and she broke her pubic rami running.  Essentially she broke her crotch.  Her husband tried to take credit but it was really the running.  When she went to the sports doc, he said it was runners that pretty much kept them in business. 

Last year my wife did the run and I made the beer for the after party.  This year I get to do both.  I really enjoyed last year...

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 12:35:29 PM »
Running is bad for your knees and joints.  I wouldn't recommend anyone doing it.  But start very slow and work your way up.

I have an orthopedic surgeon that will agree with you 100%. He told me the same thing. He recommends walking briskly over running.

All the research that is out now suggests that running improperly certainly is bad for you. But running properly actually extends the life of your knees and joints. You orthopedic surgeon probably has seen many cases of bad joints and knees from running over the years - but I betcha he doesn't really know a things about actually running.

You also might want to send him this link to a simple google search:

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=running+bad+for+your+joints&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

I know that he treats a lot of long distance runners and his advice is enough for me.

Offline beersk

• Senior Brewmaster
  • In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 12:38:46 PM »
The run is at the end of August so I figure I've got a decent amount of time to train.  I'm sure not gonna do it cold.  That's why I picked the C25K program. Supposedly it's a good program for easing you into it. 

Yes, my back hurts but that's more to do with my weight than anything else so I'm going to hope that losing a bit of weight through running might actually help.  I can say from experience that losing a bunch of weight helped before (and then I gained it all back...). 

My friend is a big runner (marathons and 1/2 marathons etc) and she broke her pubic rami running.  Essentially she broke her crotch.  Her husband tried to take credit but it was really the running.  When she went to the sports doc, he said it was runners that pretty much kept them in business. 

Last year my wife did the run and I made the beer for the after party.  This year I get to do both.  I really enjoyed last year...

Well that's cool man.  Good luck.  Losing weight slowly is the best way to do it.  Helps ensure you'll keep it off.  Maybe running will become part of your life, maybe it won't.  Hope all goes well.
Watch out for those Cross Dressing Amateurs!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 12:41:19 PM »

It's not the knees I'm worried about, bro. It's the liver.  ;)
Keith Y.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 12:43:09 PM »

It's not the knees I'm worried about, bro. It's the liver.  ;)

When you hear cracking from getting out of a chair and it isn't the chair, you might change your mind. :D

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2012, 12:45:56 PM »
follow that google link and /or actually learn something about running instead of listening to outdated 20 year old wives tales and you might change yours.  :D
Keith Y.

Offline narvin

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Baltimore
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2012, 12:49:29 PM »
So, what exactly is poor form?  What the other guy is doing?  ;)

I hear it a lot but honestly never see a stick figure diagram that tells people how to run.
Please do not reply if your an evil alien!
Thanks
Chris S.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2012, 12:52:41 PM »
follow that google link and /or actually learn something about running instead of listening to outdated 20 year old wives tales and you might change yours.  :D

Thanks, but I think I'll follow the advice of someone that treats the effects of running and besides, you can get safer exercise in many other ways.  I've known many that people swear by it, but more times than not a few years later they tell me they quit because of their knees or other problems.

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2012, 12:55:09 PM »
Definitely start out slow.  It is amazing how the human body responds to training.  I went from not running to running a marathon in 6 months.
Brew on

Offline morticaixavier

• Davis, CA
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2012, 12:58:52 PM »
So, what exactly is poor form?  What the other guy is doing?  ;)

I hear it a lot but honestly never see a stick figure diagram that tells people how to run.

It changes all the time. Last I heard (and I don't run so take this with a grain of salt) 'experts' have been saying that barefoot running can be really good because it encourages you to strike with the toes and ball of your feet instead of the heel.

Running is bad for your knees and joints.   

Humans are made to run. Unfortunately, most of us have devolved away from our intrinsic physical capability.

Humans are made to walk. we are made to walk all day but still, mostly walk. We are capable of running and actually pretty good at it but mostly for short periods, not long periods. Horses are made to run. Long, flexible tendons between 'heel' and 'toe' allow alot of energy to be absorbed and reapplied in the next stage of the gate without putting alot of repetative impact up and down the spine. All the really good running creatures are quadrapeds (okay, kangaroos, but they bounce not run) so the spine is not compressed on every step. We can run, and I know lots of people that run alot and are healthier than they might be because of it. and good shoes can make a huge difference if your form is not picture perfect. but these are all methods for reducing the impact on your body, which if we were meant to run evolution would have taken care of already.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time" - A. Einstein

Jonathan I Fuller

Online gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2012, 01:03:20 PM »
is great .... for 65 year old and up and overweight women.  ;)

I feel the same about light beer.

I'm not getting into the pro vs con debate but I saw a really cool National Geographic or something where this guy runs an antelope into the ground.  In fact, here is the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=826HMLoiE_o

Right now I'm capable to do this with a pizza. 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 01:09:31 PM by gmac »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2012, 01:09:24 PM »
Narvin - here's a pretty good article: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267-268-8210-0,00.html

Bo - I do think there are better forms of exercise, specifically weight training and especially if you are trying to lose weight. But to say running is a "bad" form of exercise if just plain wrong.

I prefer hiking, myself, especially since I have thousands of acres of trails literally out my back door.

I also totally agree to start slow, brisk walking mostly at first and running on short distances, especially if you are overweight.
Keith Y.

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2012, 01:09:51 PM »
you should read born to run by christopher mcdougall. 
cheers.

rpl
apertureales