Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oh no!  (Read 4372 times)

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
Oh no!
« on: April 16, 2012, 12:04:46 pm »
Help!  I brewed the following Abby Dubbel recipe yesterday and was confused why my gravity only read 1049.

http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/DubbelTrouble

I just now realized that I forgot to add the Dark candi syrup.   :'(

So, can it be saved?  when I get home from work, can I add the Dark candi syrup after first boiling with some water?  Or would that risk oxidation?  I'm sure by now there will be a vigorous fermentation going on.

I am such an idiot!   :P
Scott B

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Oh no!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 12:08:10 pm »
Do just as you said and you'll be fine. I've done this very thing. When you add it, use a sanitized spoon and swirl it slowly, IE no agitation. 

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 12:13:48 pm »
Do just as you said and you'll be fine. I've done this very thing. When you add it, use a sanitized spoon and swirl it slowly, IE no agitation.
Will do!  Thanks!

(might have to skip out of work early!)
Scott B

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 12:14:30 pm »
I would not worry too much about it.  Boil, cool to fermenting temp and add.  If it is just starting to ferment, any Oxygen that sneaks in there will not hurt you.  RDWHAHB.....

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 12:16:26 pm »
I would not worry too much about it.  Boil, cool to fermenting temp and add.  If it is just starting to ferment, any Oxygen that sneaks in there will not hurt you.  RDWHAHB.....

Dave
Oh, good!  (wipes sweat from brow)
Scott B

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 12:31:37 pm »
No worries Scott...do as you've said and it'll be just fine.  :)
Ron Price

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 12:34:41 pm »
If its syrup, and it's in a sealed bottle or pouch, don't even boil it.  Pour it straight into the fermenter. Don't need to stir either. The yeast will find the sugar and work its way through it, whether it's evenly dissolved or a puddle at the bottom. When going for high gravity Belgians, it's actually good practice to hold back on the syrups until this point, to get the yeast going and achieve high krausen.

Rdwhahb indeed...

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 12:36:30 pm »
One question though.  The recipe calls for 75% efficiency and 1.069.  By my calcs, adding the syrup you will bring it up to 1.054.  Did you hit your numbers?

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 12:39:03 pm »
Thanks, Ron!  I had a fantastic brew day, but I have been puzzling ever since wondering how I could have had missed the OG by so much.  I'm relieved to learn that it wasn't my brewing process I screwed up, just my forgetting to add an ingredient. 
Scott B

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 12:42:35 pm »
Thanks, Ron!  I had a fantastic brew day, but I have been puzzling ever since wondering how I could have had missed the OG by so much.  I'm relieved to learn that it wasn't my brewing process I screwed up, just my forgetting to add an ingredient.

I hear you... :)

Understanding a problem can be a daunting task.  Fixing the problem in your case is a blessing.
Ron Price

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 12:43:45 pm »
One question though.  The recipe calls for 75% efficiency and 1.069.  By my calcs, adding the syrup you will bring it up to 1.054.  Did you hit your numbers?

Dave
No, I'm sure I didn't do a perfect job.  My crush was suspect.  I batch sparged.  My sparge temp was a little too low...  A number of things could have lowered my efficiency.  I'm not really concerned with that at this point.  But 1049 was sooooo low and it had me very confused.  Glad I figured that out!
Scott B

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 12:54:53 pm »
If its syrup, and it's in a sealed bottle or pouch, don't even boil it.  Pour it straight into the fermenter. Don't need to stir either. The yeast will find the sugar and work its way through it, whether it's evenly dissolved or a puddle at the bottom. When going for high gravity Belgians, it's actually good practice to hold back on the syrups until this point, to get the yeast going and achieve high krausen.

Rdwhahb indeed...
I think this is what I have:  http://morebeer.com/view_product/6788/102195/Adjunct_-_Belgian_Candi_Syrup_Dark
So, you think I can just spray the outside with Starsan, open it and pour it right in?
Scott B

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 01:03:02 pm »
I don't think you even need to spray the star san, but do it if it makes you feel comfortable.

I ran our of sugar on Saturday for my quad (poor planning) so on Sunday I just poured some right into the fermenter as I have done in the past.  No worries.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 01:10:04 pm »
+1.  If you have a 'warm syrup' setting on your microwave, I would do that before pouring in.  Otherwise 10-20 seconds should warm it up enough to get a good pour.  If you have a StarSan spray handy, sanitize a spoon and scoop the rest out.  You should get most all of it that way and not water down the beer by boiling.  Good luck!
Dave Zach

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 01:12:06 pm »
+1.  If you have a 'warm syrup' setting on your microwave, I would do that before pouring in.  Otherwise 10-20 seconds should warm it up enough to get a good pour.  If you have a StarSan spray handy, sanitize a spoon and scoop the rest out.  You should get most all of it that way and not water down the beer by boiling.  Good luck!
Excellent suggestion!  Thanks!
Scott B