Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Nutty Brewnette... American Brown Ale guidance  (Read 4661 times)

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
Nutty Brewnette... American Brown Ale guidance
« on: September 10, 2010, 09:44:31 pm »
On a recent trip out to Oregon, I stopped at a BJs Restaurant for the first time.  (Great food, good atmosphere, Great beer)  While dining, however, my wife FINALLY found a beer that she enjoys… the Nutty Brewnette.  

So, long story short, I have found my wife’s gateway beer.  However, BJ’s are not present in Michigan… So my wife has assigned me the task to brew up my own version of the Nutty Brewnette.  

After looking at their website, the list of the grains and hops to be used is listed…so I think I can get a decent beer produced in three or four tries… but has anyone brewed a similar beer that they wish to share the recipe on? Or provide pointers on the one I have developed?  I am just looking for a good starting point that my save me a few iterations, and possibly achieve a some “good graces” for brewing a beer she loves!

My planr recipe for the first 5 Gal batch is:

10LB    Pale Malt
1LB      Crystal 40
.5LB     Victory Malt
.75LB   Special Roast
.125LB Chocolate (350)

.5oz Magnum 12AA% @ 60min

1oz Willamette 4AA% @ 20min
1oz Fuggle       4AA% @ 20min

And the vitals off of the BJs website is:

Nutty Brewnette® is an American-style brown ale. A blend of four different dark malts contributes to a flavor profile that is sweet with “nutty” notes. A healthy dose of hops makes this beer hoppier and more balanced than most English brown ales.

Style:American Brown Ale Alcohol:5.9% by volume
Malt Variety:2-row Pale, English Crystal, Briess Victory and Special Roast, Chocolate
Bitterness (IBU):35Hop Variety:Magnum, Willamette, UK Fuggles

Any comments to help dial it in would be appreciated!

Thanks!
-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Nutty Brewnette... American Brown Ale guidance
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 10:25:52 am »
As a comparison, here's a link to my Noti (pronounced No-Tie)Brown ale recipe that's won a few awards...

http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/NotiBrownAle
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 08:07:09 pm »
Thanks for the data point Denny!

I had not thought about using Munich to round out the backbone malt flavor... I just may borrow that idea!

Cheers!
-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline micdear

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 05:39:04 pm »
I know it's 4 years later so the odds of getting a response are low, but any update on how this turned out? I just had aBJs open near me and the nutty brunette was the best thing I had there.