Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Single-Malt beers  (Read 10306 times)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Re: Single-Malt beers
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 07:10:37 pm »
I have never understood people using MO or other like hops for big hoppy beers, but to each his own.

I started using Golden Promise after drinking an IPA from Drydock made with Golden Promise. It won some award for something or other. I don't really see a reason other than cost not to use good pale malt if the recipe calls for pale malt.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 11:33:22 pm »
Part of it IS cost - I prefer not to spend more money than necessary. But the big thing is that I just don't care for a strong toasty flavor in my hoppy beers when I can detect them. And usually those toasty flavors get lost in a massively hop-focused beer (in which case the extra cost was for nought). But when they are noticeable, I find them distracting. That's why my preference for hop-centric beers is to use domestic 2-row (preferably Great Western).

Offline dcdwort

• Cellarman
  • Colorado Springs
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 08:59:38 am »
I have been enjoying this discussion and thank everyone for their input.  Currently just put my 5th AG batch to ferment, an oatmeal stout that has 9 different grains in the bill.  Also have been reading Tess and Mark Szamatulski's Clone Brews where I find many beers made with a primary grain and only one other specialty grain which I find very curious.  Keeping the bill simple but producing very different beers.  So I think my next beer will be a SMaSH just for the education of malt and hop flavors.  Anyone have a good starter SMaSH for someone who is new to the AG brewing?  I have done a scottish ale, porter and a cream ale from my own recipes which turned out fine from my biased opinion but also all liked by my wife, neighbors and co-workers.  Just bottled a pale ale so I have to wait and see how it did.
Don
Bottled:  Nightime Porter, Pumpkin Eater Ale, Big Lass Double IPA, Sholto Scottish Ale, Neville Court ESB, Lowlands Scottish ale 80/, Morining Oatmeal stout, NB 1554 clone, NB SnowDay clone
Planning:
Fermenting:

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 09:04:29 am »
many beers made with a primary grain and only one other specialty grain which I find very curious.  Keeping the bill simple but producing very different beers.

That is the single best advice I can give for people who want to make their own recipes. Add ingredients with purpose, not "just because." You'd be amazed at how complex a beer can taste with only one or two kinds of malt. I think often too many competing flavors detract from the finished product.

Offline dcdwort

• Cellarman
  • Colorado Springs
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2012, 09:18:43 am »
Thanks nateo.  As I moved into AG, I started trying to copy various commercial beers with my own blend of what I could find on the internet.  Like BJ's PM Porter.  Their website, as most brewer's, gives the main list of ingredients but no proprotions, so I look at other porters to get an idea of %'s for each grain.  But I was never sure which grain was doing what.  Now I will back up and start basic recipes, learn the flavors and move up from there. 

I got started in this from a friend at work, did 3 partial mash kits and then jumped into AG as he does.  Glad I made that move.  Now I have a keggle and a 10 gal Gott cooler mash tun; will build another keggle soon. 

If I want to stay with the fuller beer profiles like a scottish ale, what would anyone recommend on the type of grain to try first?  A british pale 2-row, MO, or something else.

Thanks!
Don
Bottled:  Nightime Porter, Pumpkin Eater Ale, Big Lass Double IPA, Sholto Scottish Ale, Neville Court ESB, Lowlands Scottish ale 80/, Morining Oatmeal stout, NB 1554 clone, NB SnowDay clone
Planning:
Fermenting:

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2012, 09:39:29 am »
If I want to stay with the fuller beer profiles like a scottish ale, what would anyone recommend on the type of grain to try first?  A british pale 2-row, MO, or something else.

Thanks!

If you haven't seen it already, google skotrat's traquair house recipe. If you can get MO, that's good. If you can get any kind of floor-malted MO, that's even better. I went to the brew store and just chewed on some base grains, and picked the one with the most flavor and aroma. I ended up with a sack of Golden Promise. It'll depend on what the brew store has in stock, and what they have that's fresh.

If it's hard to chew, then it won't mill well. "Friable" malt is easier to mill and work with and should be more efficient. If it's hard to chew and doesn't taste like much, or tastes like hay, or tastes like cardboard, it probably won't make great single-malt beer.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 09:42:48 am by nateo »

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2012, 10:51:27 am »
I have been enjoying this discussion and thank everyone for their input.  Currently just put my 5th AG batch to ferment, an oatmeal stout that has 9 different grains in the bill.  Also have been reading Tess and Mark Szamatulski's Clone Brews where I find many beers made with a primary grain and only one other specialty grain which I find very curious.  Keeping the bill simple but producing very different beers.  So I think my next beer will be a SMaSH just for the education of malt and hop flavors.  Anyone have a good starter SMaSH for someone who is new to the AG brewing?  I have done a scottish ale, porter and a cream ale from my own recipes which turned out fine from my biased opinion but also all liked by my wife, neighbors and co-workers.  Just bottled a pale ale so I have to wait and see how it did.

My favorite grain for a SMaSH with lots of complexity is Munich 10L. You can do an ordinary bitter with Munich and the British hop of your choice and that's nice. Goldings is good.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2012, 10:55:03 am »
i am going to make a run of double malt beers. mostly 2 row and then 2 row that i have modified myself to make vienna, crystal, munich etc.  don't know that i would compare these to same brew but with commercial adds or not.
Don AHA member

Offline dcdwort

• Cellarman
  • Colorado Springs
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2012, 01:30:35 pm »
dang work getting in the way of beer research!  Anyway I just checked out skotrat's traquair house recipe and will look for the Golden Promise pale 2-row, might even has some N. Brewer hops in the fridge.  Looks like I need to start doing some small batch brews so I can test many variations.
Thanks everyone!
Don
Planning:
Fermenting:

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2012, 01:38:18 pm »
i am going to make a run of double malt beers. mostly 2 row and then 2 row that i have modified myself to make vienna, crystal, munich etc.  don't know that i would compare these to same brew but with commercial adds or not.

You can't _really_ make some of those malts unless you start with green malt.  Here's some info...

http://brewery.org/library/Malt_AK0996.html
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2012, 01:53:16 pm »

You can't _really_ make some of those malts unless you start with green malt.  Here's some info...

http://brewery.org/library/Malt_AK0996.html

it may not be exactly the same but you can re-wet the malt and treat it as green. This works for crystal malts for sure, although it can be tricky to keep all the sugars in the malt. I read about one person doing it by soaking the pale malt and then sealing it in a vacuum seal bag and 'mashing' in a crockpot boil-in-bag style. You then re-kiln. But you're right Denny, it's not exactly the same.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2012, 01:57:51 pm »
But you're right Denny, it's not exactly the same.

Which was all I was saying.  You'll make something, but it won't be exactly what you set out to make.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2012, 02:13:23 pm »
I've found the biggest problem with making my own crystal was hitting the right color. The endosperms get darker than the husks. Dang if it doesn't taste just like the crystal malt I buy though. Maybe someone with a better palate could tell a difference, but I can't.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2012, 10:18:05 am »
i have brewed with homemade munich (beer goes in to lager tomorrow) which tasted great when i checked.  i did not resoak this malt.  i made a couple pounds of crystal (no idea where it will end up in terms of lovibond) and this i soaked over night.   the malts flavor when eating a few kernals is definitely different than the malt started. i recognise it won't be spot on with commercially available, but then they don't always match from one maltster to the next.
Don AHA member