Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Plastic Bucket for Lager Primary  (Read 6420 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Plastic Bucket for Lager Primary
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 12:34:17 pm »
That's the marketing anyway. Without details on the composition of the plastic, or controlled testing, who knows?

True, true.  They do have a lot of information however on their website with tech specs, chemical studies,  etc...  It's worth a look as they are a lot easier to handle/clean than glass.  No, I'm not a rep, just a home brewer who found a piece of equipment I like and recommend.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 12:39:58 pm »
I think as long as you're happy with the quality of your beer using a particular process, then you shouldn't hesitate to continue using it.  I've used glass and plastic without any noticeable difference in quality between them.  Unless you are bulk aging for months or years, then plastic buckets or BB's are just fine.
Ron Price

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 01:24:17 pm »
I think as long as you're happy with the quality of your beer using a particular process, then you shouldn't hesitate to continue using it.  I've used glass and plastic without any noticeable difference in quality between them.  Unless you are bulk aging for months or years, then plastic buckets or BB's are just fine.

I guess that's what I was trying to get at. I'm looking to get into making mead and was debating on using a 5-gallon BB for my secondary.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 08:46:22 pm »
If Better Bottles are good enough for JZ then they're good enough for me!  :P

Though I can't attest to his use of them for extended periods.
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 05:34:22 am »
Anyone have any experience with long-term aging in a Better Bottle?

I've aged beers in them on a couple of occasions for up to a year with no noticeable oxidation.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline veldy

• Cellarman
Re: Re: Plastic Bucket for Lager Primary
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2012, 08:11:50 pm »
So, I bought an upright freezer on Craigslist for $100 and now have access to our chest freezer as my lager fermentation vessel.  Yes, it's lager brewing season as I can fit 4 carboys at once!

I have two lagers in there now in carboys, and want to make a third this weekend, but only have plastic buckets left for primary.  I know plastic was previously frowned upon for lagers.  But today, with pitching big starters and racking to keg for lagering after 3 weeks, do I really need to worry or should I just brew away and RDWHAHB?

Dave

I have always fermented the lager primary using plastic buckets.  I am not fond of plastic for secondary and especially not lagering, but I wouldn't hesitate for a lager primary (I use carboys for Ale primary since I am less diligent about when I secondary, or if I do at all in some cases).

Veldy