Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best hop for 100% pale malt  (Read 6012 times)

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Best hop for 100% pale malt
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 09:47:15 pm »
I need to do a SMaSH again real soon. I'm always amazed at how good they are.

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2012, 06:29:03 am »
In general, I prefer to use at least 2 different types of hops for a bit more complexity.

I agree with you.  While SMASH beers are a great way to learn the flavor if ingredients, I have yet to taste one that I really liked as a beer instead of an experiment.  They just seem one dimensional and boring to me.

I have a SMaSH beer on that I really like.  Bohemian Pilsner malt and Saaz hops.   ;)
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ignaciog182

• 1st Kit
Best hop for 100% pale malt
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2012, 06:59:10 am »
Finally the SMaSH beer will be pale malt and cascade, ill add more grain than the usual for a pale ale and also ill make a hoppy beer, (80-100 IBU). ill tell in some weeks how it result.
Thanks everyone for your advice!!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 07:00:56 am by ignaciog182 »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2012, 09:39:44 am »
In general, I prefer to use at least 2 different types of hops for a bit more complexity.

I agree with you.  While SMASH beers are a great way to learn the flavor if ingredients, I have yet to taste one that I really liked as a beer instead of an experiment.  They just seem one dimensional and boring to me.

I have a SMaSH beer on that I really like.  Bohemian Pilsner malt and Saaz hops.   ;)

That might be the exception, Jeff.  When I was at Beer Camp, SN had maybe 5 different SMASH beers tap.  I tried them all and I don't think I finished a pint of any of them.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2012, 03:59:26 pm »

+1. Pils, Saaz and 3787 (Patersbier), makes one of the best beers around. I've also used all Styrian Goldings, which made a great beer. Although, I must admit that when I added .25 oz of NZ Rakau hops, it made a slightly better version, IMO.

Other than that, I made a SMaSH of Marris Otter, Styrian Goldings, and 1469 that turned out to be incredible.
Kyle M.

Offline DaveR

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 12:51:32 pm »
Sorry to chime in late, but I'd go with Falconer's Flight. Granted it isn't one hop, but it's one pellet. Anytime anyone -- including myself -- is wide open and indecisive about which hop to use, Falconer's Flight is my answer. The more I use it, the more I like it. Somebody knew what they were doing when they came up with the blend.