Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My letter to SWMBO  (Read 16172 times)

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
My letter to SWMBO
« on: April 18, 2012, 08:30:08 am »
I'm sure you saw the box in the middle of the garage when you left for work this morning.  That's the fermentation chamber I'm building. 

This will give me room to place my beer while it's fermenting and I won't have to carry it into the house and hurt my back anymore.  It will also allow me to make lagers, which require lower temperatures during fermentation.  It will be heated in the winter, so it will keep the same temps then, too!

I will use your old college mini-fridge that has been in our basement un-plugged for 12 years.

All the wood I'm using for framing was found in the basement.  I'll use some of that scrap plywood down there, too! 

For the floor of the box, I'm using the piece of insulation board that was cut out of the sunroom wall (that your mom bought us) when I installed the heater/AC unit.

Some of that dark-finished plywood from our old kitchen will be used for the front of the box.  That will look nice!  :-) 

I found some old casters in my workshop I can use so I'll be able to roll it out of the way.  I'll place it under your parents' old kitchen table which I have setup in the garage in front of your car.  That will replace the spot we had the dead upright freezer I just threw out.

All of these brewing related projects are keeping me busy at night and helping me lose weight!  I'm so happy!  :-)

It's amazing that I am able to build this super fermentation chamber utilizing all of these items we already have cluttering up our house!  But, I need to buy one more tiny thing.  I need Pactiv 2" x 4' x 8' Square Edge Insulation for just $26.98 from Lowes.  May I buy it?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_304090-210-304090.0_0__?productId=3122447
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 10:06:17 am by FirstStateBrewer »
Scott B

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: My letter to SWMBO
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 08:54:03 am »
Quite explanatory and diplomatic!   I wouldn't have bothered to ask about the insulation purchase, but that's me.  Just do it.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 08:58:18 am »
Quite explanatory and diplomatic!   I wouldn't have bothered to ask about the insulation purchase, but that's me.  Just do it.
She recently totaled up my credit card purchases since I built my brew stand and gave me some flack.  I'll be careful to use cash as often as possible from now on!  LOL! 

But, the letter worked and she gave me her blessings.   ;D
Scott B

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 09:42:15 am »
Scott...you are too nice man!  :)

Hopefully you'll score some brownie points from it.  Sometimes it's just better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Nice letter though... ;)
Ron Price

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 10:11:17 am »

Hopefully you'll score some brownie points from it.  Sometimes it's just better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Nice letter though... ;)
Thanks!  I'm also trying to get my wife more interested in my brewing setup.
Scott B

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 10:35:25 am »
Makes me wonder if I am missing something by not being married. ???

Can I just say I spent $500 a couple days ago and no-one to ask permission from or explain to. No-one to save me. It was horrible...

Keep up the good work Scott and continue to keep SWMBO in the loop. It'll work best in the long run. ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 10:38:14 am »

Can I just say I spent $500 a couple days ago and no-one to ask permission from or explain to. No-one to save me. It was horrible...

Keep up the good work Scott and continue to keep SWMBO in the loop. It'll work best in the long run. ;D
The important thing is I now have a 4x8 sheet of foam board in the back of my van as we speak!  8)
Scott B

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 10:54:06 am »
And remember, sometimes it's easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission. :)
I love that one.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 01:01:53 pm »
Just keep a running total of how much money you would have spent on craft brew instead of making your own. You will either make your case or land yourself in an AA program!  :o
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 01:25:05 pm »

Nice letter though... ;)

Was this the compliment you really thought it was?
"nice" in Webtser's online dictionary:

Origin of NICE
Middle English, foolish, wanton, from Anglo-French, silly, simple, from Latin nescius ignorant, from nescire not to know — more at nescience

first four definitions:
1: obsolete a : wanton, dissolute b : coy, reticent
2a : showing fastidious or finicky tastes : particular <too nice a palate to enjoy junk food> b : exacting in requirements or standards : punctilious <a nice code of honor>
3: possessing, marked by, or demanding great or excessive precision and delicacy <nice measurements>
4: obsolete : trivial

(These were followed by the definitions that match what we'd thought of the word.)
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na Zdraví

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 01:30:41 pm »

no 8)
Don AHA member

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 01:47:09 pm »

no 8)

Hmm... I have to disagree.  Yes you are missing something.  Is missing it good or bad?  That changes minute to minute.

My equipment purchases all go under the heading of lab equipment.  No discussion required.

FWIW I got married for the first time at 42.  I've lived both sides.  Being married - it changes from minute to minute.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 01:50:22 pm »
You must obey her, but she doesn't ever obey you?
Jesse

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 02:00:14 pm »

no 8)

touche salesman

Hmm... I have to disagree.  Yes you are missing something.  Is missing it good or bad?  That changes minute to minute.

My equipment purchases all go under the heading of lab equipment.  No discussion required.

FWIW I got married for the first time at 42.  I've lived both sides.  Being married - it changes from minute to minute.
Don AHA member

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 02:19:57 pm »
For the longest time I thought SWMBO stood for Single While Man Brews Outdoors.

I wouldn't exchange being married to my wife for anyother state. sure I enjoyed being single, had my fun, sowed my wild oats so to speak but having a loving supportive partner in life to help pick up the slack when it all gets to be to much is so wonderful (alsmost said nice!).

It's important to remember that you are on the same team though. I would not like to live in an adversarial marriage.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce