Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My letter to SWMBO  (Read 16243 times)

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: My letter to SWMBO
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 02:31:49 pm »
I read the letter, thinking the whole time that you were going to ask to buy a $2000 glycol chiller or something.  The insulation board was rather anticlimactic IMHO.  Lets punch it up a bit next time.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 03:01:08 pm »
I read the letter, thinking the whole time that you were going to ask to buy a $2000 glycol chiller or something.  The insulation board was rather anticlimactic IMHO.  Lets punch it up a bit next time.
;D

Yeah, I wouldn't even ask about something that was $30.  Of course I wouldn't ask about something that was $2000 either, but for different reasons ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 03:11:16 pm »
Scott...you are too nice man!  :)

Hopefully you'll score some brownie points from it.  Sometimes it's just better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Nice letter though... ;)

Was this the compliment you really thought it was?
"nice" in Webtser's online dictionary:

Origin of NICE
Middle English, foolish, wanton, from Anglo-French, silly, simple, from Latin nescius ignorant, from nescire not to know — more at nescience

first four definitions:
1: obsolete a : wanton, dissolute b : coy, reticent
2a : showing fastidious or finicky tastes : particular <too nice a palate to enjoy junk food> b : exacting in requirements or standards : punctilious <a nice code of honor>
3: possessing, marked by, or demanding great or excessive precision and delicacy <nice measurements>
4: obsolete : trivial

(These were followed by the definitions that match what we'd thought of the word.)

Amazing...I learn something everyday.  :)

Who woulda thunk.  ;)
Ron Price

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 03:19:16 pm »
LOL!

And as a reward, SWMBO sends me a link to a ring she wants me to buy her for Mother's Day costing over 3 times as much as the crummy insulation board!  LOL!

I still think I made out on the deal, though!   ;)
Scott B

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 10:06:46 am »
My girlfriend loves beer, and I don't have to explain anything I spend my money on. Everyone's happy. And we both think the institution on marriage is completely archaic. But, to each his own.
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 10:40:18 am »
For the longest time I thought SWMBO stood for Single While Man Brews Outdoors.

I wouldn't exchange being married to my wife for anyother state. sure I enjoyed being single, had my fun, sowed my wild oats so to speak but having a loving supportive partner in life to help pick up the slack when it all gets to be to much is so wonderful (alsmost said nice!).

It's important to remember that you are on the same team though. I would not like to live in an adversarial marriage.

1.  i always had thought it was she who must brew often.

2. i am all talk actually.  i love being married, have been for almost 24 years.  i think i look forward to anniversary more than she does. (she probably tries to forget)  i can't wait to get home to see her still after all these years. and no she is not watching me type this 8)
Don AHA member

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 10:54:59 am »
I have been married for 19 years, brewing for 18.  She doesn't drink beer, but we have an arangement.

1. Safety Equipment needs no permission.  This includes the elimination of glass carboys, lifting, burns, and damage to life, limb, and property.

I have not exercised the full extent of this arangement, however.  As I can use this for conical fermenters someday....but it has worked on:

brewers gloves
march pump
outdoor burners,
large Hot Liquor Tank
tools to cut open kegs
hoses, tri clamp and myriad of other valves and fittings (little stretch here)

2. Time savings are also good candidates but need a little permission.  Time savings means less time brewing and more with family.

Examples: Kegs, keggerator, and associated equipment.  Grain Mill (less time at homebrew store).

3. Anything that "saves money" needs a little more explanation.  Grain Mill and buying 50lb bags of grains, gallon sizes of Star San, and someday yeast lab....

4. Anything that removes impacts to rest of house: Fermentation cabinet, separate beer fridge, cabinet and storage to put all of this crap into and get it out of places she frequents in our small house.

The goal is convincing her that there are positive outcomes to all of this.  I have used the argument that I am home in the basement rather than out pursuing other hobbies or sitting my butt on the couch watching TV.  I often do the laundry while working on such projects (which also helps).

Lastly, she gets bragging rights on the block.  My neighbor is a Senior VP of some national company (very successful)....but he is always traveling on business, can't make beer, and doesn't know how to tear apart a fridge and rebuild into a keggerator...skills and knowledge which I apply to other appliances and the home electrical and plumbing systems....nor does he have an awesome set of tools.

Really, my wife isn't dumb, she allows all of this because she loves me, and I am fooling no one.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 12:14:37 pm »
I told my wife I started this thread with that letter.  She just laughed!   ;D
Scott B

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2012, 12:24:24 pm »
It's a good letter, but what is with the "helping me lose weight" part?

Wait, if your not busy making beer, you'd be sitting around eating cookies, right?

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2012, 12:28:09 pm »
It's a good letter, but what is with the "helping me lose weight" part?

Wait, if your not busy making beer, you'd be sitting around eating cookies, right?
Exactly!  :P
Scott B

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2012, 02:38:36 pm »
My wife rarely even asks about new "toys" in the brewery anymore.  I'm one who looks at the accounts and asks thinks like "Honey, do you have any idea ~$1500 may have gone that I can't account for in the chcking account?".  So she knows I won't  blow the budget on brewing stuff.

That question was one I actually asked once.  It was before Christmas one year and she had over $1500 in scrip (gift card and such bought through our kids school because they get a cut) to use for Christmas shopping.  The funniest part was that she didn't realize how much she was really carrying around.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2012, 02:45:09 pm »
And as a reward, SWMBO sends me a link to a ring she wants me to buy her for Mother's Day costing over 3 times as much as the crummy insulation board!  LOL!

I still think I made out on the deal, though!   ;)
By all means, get that ring.  Gotta keep-em happy.  I've learned that in my 27+ years of marriage.  Of course those are not all with the same person, I was a slow learner.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2012, 02:49:48 am »
My girlfriend loves beer, and I don't have to explain anything I spend my money on. Everyone's happy. And we both think the institution on marriage is completely archaic. But, to each his own.
I tend to agree, but I took to heart something Penn said on his short lived radio program . . . he consulted a lawyer who basically said "there is no contract I could draw up that would give you as many rights in your children's lives as simply being married to their mother."  But if you have no kids (and don't intend to) no big deal, do what you like.

10 year anniversary is 4/20 :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2012, 08:05:56 am »
I tend to agree, but I took to heart something Penn said on his short lived radio program . . . he consulted a lawyer who basically said "there is no contract I could draw up that would give you as many rights in your children's lives as simply being married to their mother."  But if you have no kids (and don't intend to) no big deal, do what you like.

10 year anniversary is 4/20 :)

congrats on the anniversary! My wife and I are coming up on 5 ourselves. Another good reason to get married, if you have decided that you are going to stay together anyway is all the free stuff! what other opportunity can you think of to throw a huge party for all your friends and family at which they are expected to buy you everything you ever wanted for your house? Plus it's a really meaningful way to say how you feel about your other half.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2012, 08:44:38 am »

We don't, so it works good for us. Congrats on the anniversary.
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa