Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My letter to SWMBO  (Read 16262 times)

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
Re: My letter to SWMBO
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2012, 08:46:46 am »
And as a reward, SWMBO sends me a link to a ring she wants me to buy her for Mother's Day costing over 3 times as much as the crummy insulation board!  LOL!

I still think I made out on the deal, though!   ;)
By all means, get that ring.  Gotta keep-em happy.  I've learned that in my 27+ years of marriage.  Of course those are not all with the same person, I was a slow learner.
Just ordered the ring!  She told me if I ordered it I should pay using Bill Me Later.  So, when I placed the order she got the email, since our Bill Me Later account is in her name.   ;) 
Scott B

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2012, 08:47:07 am »
Scott...you are too nice man!  :)

Hopefully you'll score some brownie points from it.  Sometimes it's just better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Nice letter though... ;)

what he said!

;)
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2012, 08:47:50 am »
Scott...you are too nice man!  :)

Hopefully you'll score some brownie points from it.  Sometimes it's just better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Nice letter though... ;)

what he said!

;)
Thanks!
Scott B

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2012, 09:02:03 am »
For the longest time I thought SWMBO stood for Single While Man Brews Outdoors.

It's important to remember that you are on the same team though. I would not like to live in an adversarial marriage.

I really hate that acronym, I just do.  So I usually have to say something whenever someone uses it.

But on the topic of people living in adversarial marriages.  It seems too many guys I hear on these forums talk about how they hate taking up the kitchen for so long, their wives hate when they brew, hate the smell, blah blah blah.  Wow, sucks to have a wife that is so conditional.  Makes me sad.  And taking up the kitchen for 4-5 hours?  Can these people's wives stand to be out of the kitchen for that long?  I don't get it...

It's like when I hear guys say when they try to change their facial hair that their wives HATE it and make them shave it off.  Makes me sad.  Just imagine if you told your wife you hated her new haircut, how would she feel?  Not good right?  These wives just don't seem to think that through, it's a 2 way street.  Makes me think these guys married the wrong women.
Jesse

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2012, 11:20:31 am »
Who brews in the kitchen?   That's like taking target practice in the hallway, or playing football in the livingroom.

Happy Anniversary Tom!

Just for you beersk: SWMBO
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2012, 11:46:53 am »
I brew in the kitchen and do full boils over two burners. I love it. There is an awesome venthood and immediate access to some very hot water. Furthermore, there is air-conditioning which is my primary reason for brewing in the kitchen.

If anyone is going to throw someone out of the kitchen it will be me. SWMBO will have learned early on that I rule there... Now if she is an awesome cook then we can compromise.

Since brewing is inherently messy, I can see why the brewer gets ejected from the kitchen and relegated to the garage or outside. One nasty boil-over not cleaned up immediately (I'll actually stop the process to do this) is probably the source for 99% of the banishments from the kitchen and house.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2012, 12:02:38 pm »
If anyone is going to throw someone out of the kitchen it will be me. SWMBO will have learned early on that I rule there... Now if she is an awesome cook then we can compromise.

Says the idealistic single guy.   ;D
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2012, 12:05:05 pm »
You'll learn real fast to say, "Get out of my kitchen, please darlin. "

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2012, 12:06:22 pm »
I brew outside because SWMBO didn't like the smell and our vent took forever to clear the air.  I agreed but its SWMBO's fault.

I don't have a beard because SWMBO doesn't like it when I do.  Neither do I but its still SWMBO's fault.

SWMBO threatens to buy a chipper shredder when she's "upset" with me.  The kids offer to help SWMBO pick one out.  Its SWMBO's fault (even though I started the joke).

I'm trying to think of more ways I can use SWMBO in this post.   ;D

Most guys who layoff not doing something because SWMBO said so are usually saying "I agreed with her but can't admit that in front of my friends and I got something better out of it anyway, so there".  Its a joke!  Political correctness is killing this country by making people too worried about offending others to try new things.  I for one would gladly welcome our new "boorish, creative overlords" if got us moving forward again.

Sorry for the rant.  SWMBO just told me to go sit in the corner.   8)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2012, 12:12:45 pm »
I would be nervous if she buys that chipper in the winter. ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2012, 12:25:38 pm »
I would be nervous if she buys that chipper in the winter. ;D

Don't worry, I've advised her on how to best apply the technology.  She can't get caught who would raise the kids? ;D

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2012, 12:29:32 pm »
My girlfriend loves beer, and I don't have to explain anything I spend my money on. Everyone's happy. And we both think the institution on marriage is completely archaic. But, to each his own.
I tend to agree, but I took to heart something Penn said on his short lived radio program . . . he consulted a lawyer who basically said "there is no contract I could draw up that would give you as many rights in your children's lives as simply being married to their mother."  But if you have no kids (and don't intend to) no big deal, do what you like.

10 year anniversary is 4/20 :)

happy anniversary dude
Don AHA member

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2012, 12:32:38 pm »
i am trying to move my brewery out of the kitchen, even though i have a kick ass gas stove that boils with no problem, because i hate to clean up the kitchen afterword.
Don AHA member

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2012, 12:36:02 pm »
Wow!  3 pages of SWMBO talk.  I'm surprised nobody has asked to see pics of my fermentation chamber...   ;)
Scott B

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2012, 12:44:02 pm »
Well if you show up with something along the lines of this:

she might be pleased guys... This isn;t my first choice but I could straddle three burners and double my batch size. And everyone gets to use it.

Wow!  3 pages of SWMBO talk.  I'm surprised nobody has asked to see pics of my fermentation chamber...   ;)

Pics and story please?