Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Apples  (Read 1763 times)

Offline DW

• Assistant Brewer
Apples
« on: April 20, 2012, 04:23:22 pm »
Hey.  Why does my friend's beer continue to have an apply smell/flavor?  He's made several beers in the past with similar results.  The last beer, an oatmeal stout, he brewed with me at my house.  He then transported the cooled wort back to his house for fermentation and later carbonation.  I read that acetaldehyde can cause it?????????

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Apples
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 04:32:45 pm »
Acettaldehyde will be a very sharp green apple sort of aroma/flavor - think jolly rancher. Usually, this is from trying to push the beer too fast, before the yeast have a chance to clean things up.

A more sort of sweet, red apple flavor/aroma is usually a fruity ester produced by yeast when they're stressed. Normally for many brewers, that's from not keeping the wort cool enough during ferment.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 05:11:12 pm »
Tell him to leave his beer on the yeas for two weeks rather than transfering to secondary after a week.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 05:12:11 pm »
My very first brew had apple cider type flavor/ aroma to it.  I didn't do much to control the fermenting temps, which got into 80s.  Since that brew, I've paid close attention to my fermenting temps, keeping them in the low-mid 60s.  I haven't had the "apple" issue since, so I'm guessing with my example, I let my fermentation temps get too high.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 02:43:29 am »
High temps produces the nastier esters if any. More like fusel alcohols. Solventy- think nail-polish.

Cidery can be from bad yeast usually or incomplete fermentation. My neighbor drinks my beer and says "sweet-potato" but I realize he calls anything stronger than bud-lite that. :D He is ESL so that s his way of saying caramel.

Anyway it sent me chasing an acetaldehyde ghost though I did detect pumpkin in Windsor yeast and WLP029 especially at the third repitch on an ordinary Kolsch. This was at a month at 63F. I can only say yeast health was the primary factor to the problem.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 07:30:29 am »
High temps produces the nastier esters if any. More like fusel alcohols. Solventy- think nail-polish.

Cidery can be from bad yeast usually or incomplete fermentation. My neighbor drinks my beer and says "sweet-potato" but I realize he calls anything stronger than bud-lite that. :D He is ESL so that s his way of saying caramel.

Anyway it sent me chasing an acetaldehyde ghost though I did detect pumpkin in Windsor yeast and WLP029 especially at the third repitch on an ordinary Kolsch. This was at a month at 63F. I can only say yeast health was the primary factor to the problem.

Ya know, looking back on my notes for my first brew, I did only let it go 14 days before I bottled.  So the cidery issue probably was from incomplete fermentation.  No exploding bottles, but I did have some high carbonation to go along with the cidery issue. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg