Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How long before there are no spelling or grammar rules?  (Read 7211 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: How long before there are no spelling or grammar rules?
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2012, 10:36:11 pm »
That's the theg I do the most, BTW. I always type ";" when I mean to type "'". Just can't hep mysef. ;)

On my laptop I always ; when I want to ' so from now on I'm letting it ride. If it happens it happens. My text messages are grammatically correct with a few acronyms salted into the sentences.

I like auto-correct up to a point, but obviously my phone doesn;t know me at all- even after nearly two years. The predictive text will sub out my correctly spelled words for ones that have little relation to the subject.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2012, 02:29:00 am »
Wow, long thread for one day. :)

I am a fan of the Oxford comma, and double space after my periods.  It's just the right thing to do.

I know a lot of ESL people in my work, and get a lot in the classes I teach.  My second favorite feedback ever from a student was:

"He correct my grammar all time, but his grammar not good"

Just to be clear, I didn't correct her speaking grammar but her written lab reports where grammar mattered.  Hilarious.  I suggested she should go to the school's writing center where she could get writing help for free.  She didn't listen.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2012, 05:44:50 am »
That's why I don't hire anyone whose resume and/or interview doesn't reflect the ability to form cogent thoughts.  If you're lazy with your words, you're lazy with everything else--so there's no place for you here.

I like this guy! 8)  I think it may have something to do with a lot of people in our country with advanced degrees having English as a second language.  I will not rant, I will not rant. :P

Just to be clear:  That's your opinion, and not mine. 

Generally speaking, a highly-educated individual is not lazy.  In my experience, Americans are often worse than highly-educated foreigners for whom English is a second language.  With regards to highly-educated foreigners, I often find their grammar and syntax to be quite good, although the occasional word juxtaposition and unusual delivery/pronunciation can be amusing.  With regards to conversational English, the foreign accents do make it extremely difficult to understand at times.

Point taken.  Just to be clear, I have found that my european collegues write in English with better grammar than my asian colleagues.  This is just an observation on my part.  It does not mean that I think they are less intelligent or lazy, I know they are neither.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim