Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Vanilla Rum Raisin Stout - Amounts?  (Read 12233 times)

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
Vanilla Rum Raisin Stout - Amounts?
« on: November 20, 2011, 03:03:34 pm »
So, I had a really great Vanilla Rum Raisin Stout a couple months ago at the Emerald Coast Beerfeest.  A homebrew at that.  I didn't get to talk to the brewer much about the recipe but I was wondering if anyone had ever added this to a stout.  I have ten gallons of a new stout, the hydro sample I tasted yesterday was really good, one lb of cherry wood smoked malt made it really complex, anyways, I want to try and add these flavors to 5 gallons of it.

I was thinking about soaking x amount of rum (what type?)  in x amount of raisins, adding that mixture, and then adding x amount of vanilla extract to the keg.  Anyone ever played around with these ingredients?  How much is not enough, too much...etc...

This is a ten gallon batch.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
15.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 61.22 %
3.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 12.24 %
1.00 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 4.08 %
1.00 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 4.08 %
1.00 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4.08 %
1.00 lb Smoked Malt (Cherry Wood) (3.0 SRM) Grain 4.08 %
1.00 lb Special Roast (50.0 SRM) Grain 4.08 %
0.50 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 2.04 %
0.50 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 2.04 %
0.50 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 2.04 %
4.00 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (60 min) Hops 37.2 IBU
0.21 tsp Fermcap -use 2-3 drops (Boil 60.0 min) Misc 
2.10 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc 
2.10 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Misc 
3 Pkgs SafBrew - US 05 (Fermentis) Yeast-Ale

Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Vanilla Rum Raisin Stout - Amounts?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 01:43:56 am »
It sounds like a tasty idea. I have brewed with raisins before and I got the idea from denny to caramelize them on a pan before adding to the secondary. I can not recall the amounts at this time but probably around a half pound per gallon would be my guess.

As far as adding rum flavor that is going to be a bit more tricky because just soaking the raisins in rum probably won't give you much rum character. I would think the best way to achieve rum character would be aging the beer in a rum barrel though that may not be feasible on the 5 or 10 gallon level. You can also always add rum to the beer itself, which may be the route you will need to go in this instance. I'm not a rum drinker so I'm not sure what to recommend as far as brands - make it an expensive dark rum.

As far as the vanilla goes, the common practice has been to buy actual beans and scrape the pod and add the beans and the pub to the secondary rather than using plain extract. You will get much more natural and pronounced vanilla flavor this way. I'm not sure what to recommend for amounts as I have never brewed with vanilla bean before. Maybe do a  search for "Denny's BVIP" (bourbon vanilla imperial porter) and see what he recommends for that recipe.

Offline jayster77

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 08:51:38 am »
Wow!  This is awesome!  That was my rum raisin stout I served at the hotel party with the hopheads that you enjoyed.  I'm so glad you enjoyed it.  I could give you the full recipe if you want.  But it seems you already have the stout base you want and just want to know how I added the rum and raisin.  Take a big mason jar and pack it full of raisins then cover it with dark rum.  Not spiced rum, just dark rum.  One mason jar of those raisins soaking for a week or so, then throw em in a blender.  Put that in a hop bag and add to secondary and also pour all the rum from the mason jar in the 5 gallon batch too.  So, one mason jar of rum soaked raisins per 5 gallons.  

I attempted on another batch to add rum soaked oak chips and this really made the beer less desireable.  As for the vanilla, one scraped bean to the secondary will be plenty.  You are on the right track with the special B in your recipe.  My stout was simpler and started with a base of Marris Otter.  It had roast, chocolate, special B, crystal 40, oatmeal and lactose.  

Glad you enjoyed my stout and what I said above with the mason jar alongside the special B should give you that dark fruit/raisin and rum flavor I had in mine.  Jay
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 08:54:05 am by jayster77 »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 09:42:18 am »
Wow!  This is awesome!  That was my rum raisin stout I served at the hotel party with the hopheads that you enjoyed.  I'm so glad you enjoyed it.  I could give you the full recipe if you want.  But it seems you already have the stout base you want and just want to know how I added the rum and raisin.  Take a big mason jar and pack it full of raisins then cover it with dark rum.  Not spiced rum, just dark rum.  One mason jar of those raisins soaking for a week or so, then throw em in a blender.  Put that in a hop bag and add to secondary and also pour all the rum from the mason jar in the 5 gallon batch too.  So, one mason jar of rum soaked raisins per 5 gallons.  

I attempted on another batch to add rum soaked oak chips and this really made the beer less desireable.  As for the vanilla, one scraped bean to the secondary will be plenty.  You are on the right track with the special B in your recipe.  My stout was simpler and started with a base of Marris Otter.  It had roast, chocolate, special B, crystal 40, oatmeal and lactose.  

Glad you enjoyed my stout and what I said above with the mason jar alongside the special B should give you that dark fruit/raisin and rum flavor I had in mine.  Jay

Thanks for sharing your technique with the rum and raisins, Jay! I'm looking forward to trying this!

Offline jayster77

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 12:52:01 pm »
Thanks Keith.  I will be visiting family for Thanksgiving in Decatur Alabama....very close to Huntsville.  Is Yellowhammer open for any tours anytime?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 01:02:04 pm »
Thanks Keith.  I will be visiting family for Thanksgiving in Decatur Alabama....very close to Huntsville.  Is Yellowhammer open for any tours anytime?

Absolutely! -Send me a PM and I can hook you up with some contact info. I will be available at the brewery Friday the day after T-day.

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 05:20:27 pm »

Maybe specify size of Mason jar. Cup, pint, quart, half gallon? I'm guessing qt. ... Thanks.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline jayster77

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 05:27:09 am »

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 08:46:26 am »
Thanks a lot Jay!  It was an awesome Stout that's for sure.  I'm looking forward to infusing 5 gallons of my new stout with your technique.  Thanks for sharing your technique and for bringing that beer to the ECBF, it was, in my opinion, the only beer that stood out that whole weekend.  I keep telling my wife about it and that's the only beer I remember!  No BS either.  Course, I'm only one man.  Nonetheless, seriously awesome job!  Look forward to next year!
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline jayster77

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 10:01:58 am »
Thanks so much.  I heard a lot about a coconut porter homebrew there too.  Someone let me try an awesome homebrew double honey IPA from the VIP room too.  Glad you enjoyed it.  Looking forward to next year too.

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 06:28:20 am »
Dude, Jay, this is hilarious!  ;D I made the Honey IIPA for the VIP room!  Our club (E.C.H.O.)  Emerald Coasters Homebrew Organization donated it.  Small world I guess...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 06:32:33 am by liquidbrewing »
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline jayster77

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 08:24:48 am »
Wow!  It really is a small world!  So, did this work out for you?  How do you get a beer in the VIP room?

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 07:30:09 pm »
Wow!  It really is a small world!  So, did this work out for you?  How do you get a beer in the VIP room?

My clone of your beer turned out really well.  It really shined after a few weeks in the keg, but still not as good as I remember yours!! ;D

About the VIP room, one of the head guys in our brewclub suggested it.  He set everything up, I'm not really sure how he did it.  I just looked on the site for the beer fest, maybe email someone on the site and ask them.  Sorry, I'm not much help!

Maybe email Pat on the site here:  http://emeraldcoastbeerfest.com/faq.htm
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"