Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wedding favors  (Read 4942 times)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Re: Wedding favors
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 04:09:48 pm »
My point is this: I don't want bottles of something I spent time and money on perfecting to be discovered the next day half full.

Am I being too cynical?

You just need better friends.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline mosgood

• 1st Kit
  • @reviewbrews
    • Review Brews
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 04:13:52 pm »

[/quote]

You just need better friends.
[/quote]

Well played, sir. It's not friends I'm worried about. It's the aforementioned drinkers of "real" beer.
In fridge: Half Baked (Session IPA brewed on 4/20)
Aging: Ivan Drago Russian Imperial Stout aged w/ whiskey soaked oak chips (October?)
Up next: Honey Apricot Wheat

Offline brewmanator

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 04:22:00 pm »
I am getting married next spring and I've been asked by a number of my friends if I'm going to "brew something" for the wedding. My initial response is, "Yes" but I am a little reluctant. I think a lot of people like the idea of craft beer more than they like beer. For instance, I did a cranberry IPA for Christmas called "Hoppy Holidays" and it came out great. My dad, who is a Bud drinker, said, "That's not real beer."

My point is this: I don't want bottles of something I spent time and money on perfecting to be discovered the next day half full.

Am I being too cynical?

I think you are being too sensitive.  Unless you think comments like the one from your Dad are going to ruin your wedding day, you need to brew a beer for your wedding.  You will regret not having that special beer to share with those who actually appreciate it.  Even if it's just for you and your spouse.
- Mike

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 04:54:50 pm »
We made a Hefe and something else for our wedding. A friend brought some homebrew too. A lot of people enjoyed it, even my wife's wiener uncle who only drinks BMC. People who didn't enjoy it were polite enough to keep their tasteless mouths shut.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 05:01:47 pm »
I am getting married next spring and I've been asked by a number of my friends if I'm going to "brew something" for the wedding. My initial response is, "Yes" but I am a little reluctant. I think a lot of people like the idea of craft beer more than they like beer. For instance, I did a cranberry IPA for Christmas called "Hoppy Holidays" and it came out great. My dad, who is a Bud drinker, said, "That's not real beer."

Am I being too cynical?

not cynical, but not realistic. You will never brew a beer that everyone likes. brew for you at your wedding. or for you soon to be wife. You could also consider this an opportunity to get a kegging set up. if you serve your beer from a keg there will be no half empty bottles!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline mosgood

• 1st Kit
  • @reviewbrews
    • Review Brews
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 08:54:16 pm »

Am I being too cynical?

not cynical, but not realistic. You will never brew a beer that everyone likes. brew for you at your wedding. or for you soon to be wife. You could also consider this an opportunity to get a kegging set up. if you serve your beer from a keg there will be no half empty bottles!

And there'll be more for us to drink the next day. Good call.
In fridge: Half Baked (Session IPA brewed on 4/20)
Aging: Ivan Drago Russian Imperial Stout aged w/ whiskey soaked oak chips (October?)
Up next: Honey Apricot Wheat

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 09:23:35 am »
Kegs are the way to go here.  That way people can sample the beer from their friend's (red solo?) cup and see if they want one of their own, or not.  A lot less wasteful and a lot easier on you (bottling takes sooo much time and effort).

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 09:31:46 am »
I wish I was brewing before I got married. It would have been great to serve my own beer at the reception. You may regret not having it there.

Kegs are the way to go here.  That way people can sample the beer from their friend's (red solo?) cup and see if they want one of their own, or not.  A lot less wasteful and a lot easier on you (bottling takes sooo much time and effort).
+1.  If you do not have the equipment, you could always have the bartender or server poor the beer from the bottles instead of handing them out.  A friend of ours did that at their wedding with his homebrewed beer and it worked out well.
Mark