Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Any suggestion on scales?  (Read 5054 times)

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Any suggestion on scales?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 08:21:28 am »
A bunch of folks on here bought this one awhile ago:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FSWB9K/ref=oh_details_o01_s01_i00

I like it for weighing out grain but use a smaller food scale that I've had for years for hops.

I have this scale (got it from Santa 8^) ) and it works great.  I also have a smaller 5lb max scale that I've used for years for smaller amounts.  The big one is a certified mail scale and is very accurate above .5oz.  I can't speak to below .5oz.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 08:24:17 am »
I have this escali, so far its been great.

Same for me, been using this scale with no issues for 5 years, and a nickel still weighs 5g on it despite the abuse Ive put it through. I weigh grain, hops and my starters on it with no issue. The only thing I dont use it for is small tenth of a gram measurements that I use for water adjustment.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2012, 11:02:38 pm »
You need two scales. One for fine measurement up to a couple pounds and one for weighing out more, such as a hanging scale. I use this 50kg hanging scale bought off ebay for $10:

And I have a digital walmart-special that cost $14. Weighs in 2g or 1/8oz increments which is not nearly fine enough for salts, but is good for hops.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 03:22:27 am »

Same for me, been using this scale with no issues for 5 years, and a nickel still weighs 5g on it despite the abuse Ive put it through. I weigh grain, hops and my starters on it with no issue. The only thing I dont use it for is small tenth of a gram measurements that I use for water adjustment.
Same for me.  Useless for hops and salts, it goes in 2 gram increments.  Great for grains though.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2012, 07:32:23 am »

Same for me.  Useless for hops and salts, it goes in 2 gram increments.  Great for grains though.

+3

Love this scale.  I also use a triple beam for weighing out my brewing salts.
Ron Price

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2012, 11:08:50 am »

Good to know that a nickel weighs 5.000g per the US mint http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/?action=coin_specifications (a penny weighs 2.500 g).  Now I'll check the calibration of the my scale which I've been intending to do for only several years.