Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Storing keg-bottled beers  (Read 8735 times)

Offline violaleebrews

• Cellarman
  • "the bottle was dusty, but the liquor was clean"
Storing keg-bottled beers
« on: April 19, 2012, 02:14:45 pm »
When bottling force-carbed beer from a keg, should I expect problems cellaring any beers?

I don't have a way to keep a "library" of beers chilled.  My keg fridge is @ 32° and doesn't have room for a lot of bottles.  My basement temp varies from season to season; from about 55° in the winter to 72° in the summer.

My concern is the temperature change affecting the beer.  Any thoughts?

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
Re: Storing keg-bottled beers
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 02:20:06 pm »
Im interested in this as well.

I have been bottling with a beergun for about 9 months now, and have stored beer away from it. Ive had issues in some cases and others not. So im wondering if anyone has longer term experience.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 03:06:45 pm »
You shouldn't have problems if the sanitation is good, you purge the bottles before filling, and use PureSeal caps.
Whenever I've bottled beers in the 20-25 years,  it has awlays been fully cleared and conditioned beer from the keg. 

I've even kept stronger beers that way, at cellar temperature, for as long a 10-15 years  and haven't had any problems.  I have even stored many of them at cellar temperature.  I don't routinely keep them that long (the average is more like a year or two) but the point is that they can last far longer.

Cleanliness and avoiding any oxidation are the most important points.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline brewerjack

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 03:14:21 pm »
This is a bit off topic, but what are you using to bottle the beer from the keg? 

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 03:34:56 pm »
When I bottle from a keg (with a beer gun) and I want long term storage of the bottled beer, I add one carbonation tab to each bottle.  This slightly increases the CO2 volume to make up for loss when transferring and gives the yeast an opportunity to consume what little oxygen there is in the headspace.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 01:50:31 pm »
I frequently bottle off kegs using a beer gun and never had any issues with storing them for 1-2 years.  My basement also swings from 55 in winter to 70 in summer.  It's not ideal storage temps, but I haven't noticed any off flavors due to age. 
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 02:06:28 pm »
When I bottle from a keg (with a beer gun) and I want long term storage of the bottled beer, I add one carbonation tab to each bottle.  This slightly increases the CO2 volume to make up for loss when transferring and gives the yeast an opportunity to consume what little oxygen there is in the headspace.

Jeffy - what brand of carb tabs are you using?  I've found them to be EXTREMELY variable between brands.

And, the Munton's ones (small, aspirin-like) seem to leave a hard waxy residue floating in the beer.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 05:32:06 pm »

Jeffy - what brand of carb tabs are you using?  I've found them to be EXTREMELY variable between brands.

And, the Munton's ones (small, aspirin-like) seem to leave a hard waxy residue floating in the beer.
The little aspirin sized ones from Munton's.  Using only one I never noticed any residue.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 08:29:36 pm »
Hmm.  It was supposed to be a "bad batch" but I had it happen again with another batch.

Maybe I try again.  I've found the Brewers Best tabs to be WAY off and I have totally overcarbed beers.

I'm at the point where I don't trust bottling anymore.  But I do it so rarely it doesn't matter.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 02:15:10 am »
The drops are worth about .5 volumes each right?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 08:29:50 am »
You shouldn't have problems if the sanitation is good, you purge the bottles before filling, and use PureSeal caps.
Whenever I've bottled beers in the 20-25 years,  it has awlays been fully cleared and conditioned beer from the keg. 

I've even kept stronger beers that way, at cellar temperature, for as long a 10-15 years  and haven't had any problems.  I have even stored many of them at cellar temperature.  I don't routinely keep them that long (the average is more like a year or two) but the point is that they can last far longer.

Cleanliness and avoiding any oxidation are the most important points.

+1

I agree...ensure the beer is properly conditrioned, follow sound sanitation practices and utilize proper transfer techniques (minimize oxidation). Following these recommendations will enable you to cellar your beer at those temps. The stronger and darker the beer, the longer the life.  I try to keep my lighter beers colder.
Ron Price

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 09:48:41 am »
This is a bit off topic, but what are you using to bottle the beer from the keg?

http://www.blichmannengineering.com/beergun/beergun.html

A great little device.