Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Swift kick to the nuts!  (Read 8371 times)

Offline thetooth

• Assistant Brewer
  • Long Beach, CA
Re: Swift kick to the nuts!
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2012, 10:46:04 am »
Last year I had a porter that got beat to hell at the OC County Fair... it then took a Gold Medal at the LA County Fair.  It got a decent score at another comp as well.  Same batch, bottled on the same day.  I have to assume that either the OC County Fair got a bad bottle or there was a mix-up.  Honestly, the feedback was so far off the others and what my wife and I could detect in the beer that we still believe there was a bottle mix-up during the judging at the OC County Fair.  LOL

This was the most extreme case of differences, but I've seen many other small cases of it.  I try to enter 3 or 4 comps with the same beer to get a good evaluation.

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2012, 11:55:29 am »
Jeffy may be on to something regarding the vanilla porter.  How was the vanilla character addded to the porter?  Vanilla extract, or vanilla bean in the secondary, or steeped in vodka then added to the beer?  Sometimes the extract contributes a weird off flavor/mouthfeel that might be mistaken for diacetyl and/or DMS.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2012, 01:40:57 pm »
Jeffy may be on to something regarding the vanilla porter.  How was the vanilla character addded to the porter?  Vanilla extract, or vanilla bean in the secondary, or steeped in vodka then added to the beer?  Sometimes the extract contributes a weird off flavor/mouthfeel that might be mistaken for diacetyl and/or DMS.

He never did say exactly what category he entered.  If it was Porter (Brown or Robust), then those additives will raise an eyebrow and make the judges look for a cause.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2012, 09:31:57 pm »

He never did say exactly what category he entered.  If it was Porter (Brown or Robust), then those additives will raise an eyebrow and make the judges look for a cause.
I entered it into the robust porter category which in hind sight was clearly a mistake. I used whole vanilla beans in secondary. Ive been drinking the same batch out of the keg and it tastes fine. From reading the replies here it seems as if the vanilla was maybe mistaken for the DMS.
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett