Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Any netduino/arduino programmers out there?  (Read 10575 times)

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
Any netduino/arduino programmers out there?
« on: April 19, 2012, 09:33:14 pm »
My Netduino arrives tomorrow. If you don't know what it is, it's a microcontroller that you can program using the C# language and Microsoft's .Net Micro Framework. It's made to be compatible with hardware designed for the Arduino.

I've also ordered a waterproof digital thermostat and some other odds and ends. I'd like to make a "super" temperature controller for fermentation:
-load fermentation profiles for different styles
-create smooth ramp-up and ramp-down slopes for temperature.
-log temp data
-be able to monitor temp status remotely

A few searches came up with some pre-existing projects that have some of what I want to do already. And this will be an open-source project.

Any other netduino or arduino programmers on this forum?
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Any netduino/arduino programmers out there?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 02:51:18 am »
I know Drew is into them.  I'm interested, but haven't pulled the trigger.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline anday6

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 08:59:50 am »
+1, this would be a really cool project.  I'll be watching this thread for ideas.

Offline eaholljr

• Cellarman
Any netduino/arduino programmers out there?
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 09:39:09 am »
An engineer gave me a controller with that programming language. It comes with a "beer" temp controller program. There are a few bugs I am working out in it. I'll let you know when I get it done.
IPA makes my day!

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 01:13:34 pm »
This is the temperature sensor I ordered: Waterproof DS18B20 Digital temperature sensor

I don't get it until Tuesday, so I'll spend the weekend going over the libraries already out there for reading this type of sensor.

I've already made one mistake by buying the cheapest model netduino ($35) so I had to pick up a $20 sd card reader. Pretty useless unless I can save user settings that will survive a power outage.

Once I understand how to read from the temp sensor I'll write something to simply log temperature data.

Offline Greg A.

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 02:00:14 pm »
I would like to hear about your adventures with this.  I purchased an arduino kit at the same time I purchased my first beer kit last September with intentions of using it for brewing but have yet to do anything.  Good luck.
Greg Arndt
Homebrewer in training

Offline veldy

• Cellarman
Re: Re: Any netduino/arduino programmers out there?
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 02:11:31 pm »
This is the temperature sensor I ordered: Waterproof DS18B20 Digital temperature sensor

I don't get it until Tuesday, so I'll spend the weekend going over the libraries already out there for reading this type of sensor.

I've already made one mistake by buying the cheapest model netduino ($35) so I had to pick up a $20 sd card reader. Pretty useless unless I can save user settings that will survive a power outage.

Once I understand how to read from the temp sensor I'll write something to simply log temperature data.

You could always hook up wireless and use WCF to log through a hosted solution elsewhere in your brewery/home.  I am not sure a power outage is a concern that I would worry much about since your ability to cool is pretty much lost, although the temperature logs may still be useful.

Veldy

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
Re: Re: Any netduino/arduino programmers out there?
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 07:22:38 pm »
You could always hook up wireless and use WCF to log through a hosted solution elsewhere in your brewery/home.  I am not sure a power outage is a concern that I would worry much about since your ability to cool is pretty much lost, although the temperature logs may still be useful.

Veldy

I think eventually I'll play around with that. All I wanted initially was a way to store the fermentation profile and my current state...I could probably do that in less that 100 bytes but for now there's no way for me to write to any NVRAM (I don't think the arduino has this limitation).

There would definitely be a "cool factor" to being able to see your "brewery's" fermentation status online, in real time, and be able to adjust temps remotely. I guess I've been inspired ever since I set up Nest thermostats in my house. *nerd alert*

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 11:17:15 pm »
I have broadband SCADA access to the controls of nine different treatment plants.  I can tell you that having access to a temperture strip chart that shows a flat line will be about as exciting as watching paint dry.

Getting auto-dialed trip alarms at all hours gets old real fast too.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 09:15:47 am »
Hehe by "cool factor" I meant that in the nerdiest way possible.  ;D

Offline veldy

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 07:21:47 pm »
I have a FEZ Panda II that has embedded micro .NET (http://www.tinyclr.com), but unfortunately I haven't done any more work with it than tutorial.  I do have the touch screen and wireless modules, so there is some potential ;D

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 08:47:59 am »
Found some code for reading pH today: http://code.google.com/p/phduino/

Adding that to my queue of things to learn. Just got the temp sensor this morning so I can start doing something tonight.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 09:09:49 am »
I've been having a lot of fun messing around with my arduino, but I haven't quite turned it to brewing control yet. Got one thing to do first!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 09:16:05 am »
I haven't felt like programming ANYTHING outside of work for years. I guess I finally found something worth doing that helps out my hobby. Hopefully I can contribute something to the community at the same time.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 09:22:26 am »
You know, I totally agree. Aside from little things here and there to help run things for the brew club, I've been largely hands off the programming at home aspect until I picked up these little 'puters. It's great fun to have an easy way to make physical things happen (and I think that's the key difference). I'll probably buy a Raspberry Pi at some point (tempting and cheap!) but I don't think that will be as much fun since it's not as handy at interfacing with the "real" world.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison