Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Accidental Step Mashing (missing target temp and waiting for water to boil)  (Read 1951 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
A few days ago, I brewed an American Stout (1.061) and for some reason (probably sloppy calculations on my part), I missed my target temp of 154ºF by 10 degrees. Since the temp difference was so big, I new I would need to boil a fair amount of water to raise the temp. So the mash sat at 144ºF for about 10-15 minutes until I was able to get enough boiling water to raise the temp to the target 154ºF. It then rested at 154ºF for the usual 60 minutes.

Obviously 10-15 minutes at 144ºF will make the beer somewhat more fermentable, but how much are we talking? Obviously this is a flexible style, so I probably won't cry if the beer ferments down 78% instead of the intended 73% (I used a huge dose of fresh S-04 slurry), but how likely is this to happen? Does anyone intentionally do this? And should I have just rested it for a shorter time at 154ºF to make up for the added mashing time?

Another weird thing about this fermentation - the beer is fermenting at about 62F with S-04, but it is the most aggressive and vigorous fermentation I have ever had. I am not used to having to use a blow-off, but this one kept shooting out of the airlock and forced me to blowoff. Now 44 hours since pitching, the beer is still out-of-control fermenting. The last time I had a beer ferment anything like this was when I was fermenting without controlling the temperature and was dropping 1.070+ beers onto full cakes of English yeast.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
10-15 minutes at 144 can get a fair amount of conversion done.  However the rest at 154 should balance it out IMO.  Did you hit your target OG?  I don't think you should have rested shorter at 154 as you want to convert the same amount of dextrins as if you started there.  Not sure if the aggressive fermentation is due to the additional rest at 144 or the monster slurry pitch.  If it was fresh slurry, that could be it.

Others?

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
My efficiency was 3% lower than my usual 80%, but that isn't so unusual for me.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Skyler, I think it will be just fine. Actually this is preferred over letting the mash temp drop. If I step mash I do it this way except I shoot for 146-148 then raise the temp with an addition- not a mashout.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis