Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hey Guitar Players...  (Read 31244 times)

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Hey Guitar Players...
« Reply #135 on: April 22, 2012, 08:23:40 am »
With all of those special effects pedals, do you even need to know how to play to make great sound. ;)

Seriously, very nice setup. In just a few words, can you explain what each one does. Obviously, there's a WahWah peddle on the left (I think), but what do the others do?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 08:51:40 am by bo »

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #136 on: April 22, 2012, 09:56:27 am »
With all of those special effects pedals, do you even need to know how to play to make great sound. ;)

Seriously, very nice setup. In just a few words, can you explain what each one does. Obviously, there's a WahWah peddle on the left (I think), but what do the others do?

Honestly, I'm just as happy plugging straight into a great amp, but the pedals are a necessity for most of the situations I play in (smaller rooms, diverse genres, etc.)

I'll just go through my signal path beginning at the bottom right: Sonic Research Analog Tuner (digital strobe, but analog functionality) > Barber Tone Press Compressor (smooths out the signal going into the pedals; can blend compressed signal with original signal for a more natural sounding compression) > Fulltone Fat Boost (pushes the front end of the amp a little harder and adds a slight amount of gain; fattens up the tone and makes the harmonic content sound a little more three dimensional > Boss Noise Suppressor (dirt pedals can get a bit noisy, so I have them in a send/return loop in the noise suppressor, which makes the whole board pretty much dead quiet) > Fulltone Catalyst (higher gain, slightly fuzzy overdrive) > Mad Professor Little Green Wonder (a very harmonically rich tube screamer-like low-to-mid-gain overdrive > Mad Professor Ruby Red Booster (I use this either to boost the gain of the Little Green Wonder for solos or on its own to add just a little "hair" to a clean signal -- it's awesome as a clean boost for playing blues) > Fulltone Supa-Trem (a classic tremolo circuit for a little texture, especially on americana tunes) > Analogman ARDX20 Dual Analog Delay (a completely analog delay pedal where you can switch between two delay speeds/settings -- I also have the add-on tap tempo box so I can just tap in the tempo with my foot on the fly) > Ernie Ball volume pedal (not a wah-wah ;).

Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #137 on: April 22, 2012, 10:50:42 am »

Honestly, I'm just as happy plugging straight into a great amp, but the pedals are a necessity for most of the situations I play in (smaller rooms, diverse genres, etc.)

I'll just go through my signal path beginning at the bottom right: Sonic Research Analog Tuner (digital strobe, but analog functionality) > Barber Tone Press Compressor (smooths out the signal going into the pedals; can blend compressed signal with original signal for a more natural sounding compression) > Fulltone Fat Boost (pushes the front end of the amp a little harder and adds a slight amount of gain; fattens up the tone and makes the harmonic content sound a little more three dimensional > Boss Noise Suppressor (dirt pedals can get a bit noisy, so I have them in a send/return loop in the noise suppressor, which makes the whole board pretty much dead quiet) > Fulltone Catalyst (higher gain, slightly fuzzy overdrive) > Mad Professor Little Green Wonder (a very harmonically rich tube screamer-like low-to-mid-gain overdrive > Mad Professor Ruby Red Booster (I use this either to boost the gain of the Little Green Wonder for solos or on its own to add just a little "hair" to a clean signal -- it's awesome as a clean boost for playing blues) > Fulltone Supa-Trem (a classic tremolo circuit for a little texture, especially on americana tunes) > Analogman ARDX20 Dual Analog Delay (a completely analog delay pedal where you can switch between two delay speeds/settings -- I also have the add-on tap tempo box so I can just tap in the tempo with my foot on the fly) > Ernie Ball volume pedal (not a wah-wah ;).

Interesting, thank you for the explanation.

Is the delay like an attack delay that people like Hendrix used years ago?

I had a feeling that might not be a wahwah. Don't hear them being used much these days.

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #138 on: April 22, 2012, 11:00:13 am »
I'm not sure what an attack delay is. ???  Do you mean the effect that Jimi used on songs like Are You Experienced?  Like the reverse guitar thing?

Here's a youtube clip of the delay I have, which can be used for echo effects (like in the video), or for longer David Gilmour-esque ambient delays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMqvdDLXaPM&feature=player_embedded#!
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #139 on: April 22, 2012, 11:31:04 am »
I'm not sure what an attack delay is. ???  Do you mean the effect that Jimi used on songs like Are You Experienced?  Like the reverse guitar thing?

Here's a youtube clip of the delay I have, which can be used for echo effects (like in the video), or for longer David Gilmour-esque ambient delays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMqvdDLXaPM&feature=player_embedded#!

Yes, that was exactly the type of delay I referring to.

The video sounds a little like old school reverb.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Hey Guitar Players...
« Reply #140 on: April 22, 2012, 12:49:45 pm »
That wasn't an attack delay, whatever that is.  They flipped the tape over so it played backwards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #141 on: April 22, 2012, 02:27:13 pm »
It was attack decay, not delay. My bad.

Some used tape, but later ones were done electronically.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 02:33:36 pm by bo »

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #142 on: April 24, 2012, 10:54:00 pm »
Lefty kinda collecting dust at the present.  My hands aren't so good now a days....

A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #143 on: April 27, 2012, 06:18:32 am »
Hey, for any gearheads/pedalgeeks out there, this site is awesome: www.pedalboardplanner.com.  It's only really a good resource for those with Pedaltrain pedalboards, but it sure it fun to mess around with.

Incidentally, I just ordered a Pedaltrain Nano along with the bare essentials of pedals (tuner, fuzz, OD, and delay).  Should be a fun setup for quick jams!
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial