Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry Lagers  (Read 3695 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Dry Lagers
« on: April 06, 2012, 12:11:21 pm »
I just tapped a lager that turned out a bit dry. I take that to mean astringency and that I will need to get a Ph meter and use it going forward (I have resisted water chemistry issues in the past by simply using a home delivered spring water that had great numbers per a long ago prior post confirmed by those in the know -- I still use the same bottled water, but I have long since lost the water analysis data from the company). What is the preferred method of raising acidity to counter the astringency?

The lager isn't so dry as to be undrinkable, but it isn't where it needs to be, either.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Dry Lagers
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 12:20:33 pm »
I just tapped a lager that turned out a bit dry. I take that to mean astringency and that I will need to get a Ph meter and use it going forward (I have resisted water chemistry issues in the past by simply using a home delivered spring water that had great numbers per a long ago prior post confirmed by those in the know -- I still use the same bottled water, but I have long since lost the water analysis data from the company). What is the preferred method of raising acidity to counter the astringency?

The lager isn't so dry as to be undrinkable, but it isn't where it needs to be, either.

I use lactic acid to lower the pH when I'm doing very light beers.  I assume you weren't talking about increasing acidity at this point.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 12:38:15 pm »
There are several ways to create the perception of dryness.  Creating a highly attenuable wort is one way.  Another is to have elevated sulfate content that creates a perception of dryness.  Another is to oversparge or improperly sparge and infuse a slight amount of tannin in the wort. 

All of these causes can can be created by the water used for brewing.  Of course, you should also recognize that water may also not be the cause.  It is wise to know what your water is and understand if there are things that can be done with the water to avoid creating this result again.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 12:55:12 pm »
i guess my question also is that the beer actually dry?  final gravity?
Don AHA member

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 01:43:29 pm »
i guess my question also is that the beer actually dry?  final gravity?

OG 1.042; FG 1.012

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 01:53:11 pm »

I use lactic acid to lower the pH when I'm doing very light beers.  I assume you weren't talking about increasing acidity at this point.

I mean to lower the Ph, which I equated with adding acidity through some means.  I was also just reading another thread on batch sparging, which may have impacted this beer, as well.  I use about a 1.25 quarts of water per pound mash ratio, then after mashing (90 minutes), I add sparge water at 170 or so to get it to one-half of the total water, then drain, then add the other half of the total water at 170 or so and drain.  I was under the impression that getting the water total to roughly half before the first draining was important when batch sparging.  Could that be part of the problem?

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 02:16:56 pm »
doesn't sound like you were over attenuated.  i don't think the way you sparged by itself was a problem because by the amount of time the sparge water was there is small compared to the rest of the time.  your mash thickness seems okay.  so ph may have been a problem but i usually don't get too hung up on this in terms of astringency. maybe more for efficiency. 
Don AHA member

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 03:04:42 pm »
I had a run of astringent beers I traced back to a couple things. When crushing my malt, I was getting a lot of shredded husk bits, then when lautering I was getting a lot of those husk in the boil. A longer vorlauf and more careful malt conditioning took care of it.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 12:27:50 pm »
I had a run of astringent beers I traced back to a couple things. When crushing my malt, I was getting a lot of shredded husk bits, then when lautering I was getting a lot of those husk in the boil. A longer vorlauf and more careful malt conditioning took care of it.

I like this idea.  Plus it is the first and easiest thing to do in terms of changing my routine.  I had been skipping vorlauf and just straining the wort through a double strainer (which caught the few husks that got through the false bottom and it seemed like the wort was running very clear, but now you have given me a reason to go back to vorlauf for the first quart or so.)  Thanks for the input!

Cheers

Offline veldy

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 07:39:20 pm »
I am going with the likelihood that the sparge water was too hot.

Veldy

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
Dry Lagers
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 05:20:25 am »
Where on your palate are you perceiving the dryness?  I perceive astringency forward of my front teeth, just inside the lips.  Feels like my teeth have been sucked dry.

Dryness contributors I didn't see mentioned here are roast level and hop bitterness, which I perceive mid-palate and at the back of the mouth, respectively. You might need to back off on one of these.

I don't think 170°F is too hot for batch sparging.  The thermal mass of the grain and mash tun are going to reduce the water temperature considerably.

Btw, I've never heard of sparging twice like that.  I think what is meant by "roughly half" is that the runoff from the *mash* should be roughly equivalent to the runoff from (only one) sparge.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Dry Lagers
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 09:46:51 am »
170 is definitely not too hot for sparging.  I usually use 190ish water for sparging.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell