Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer in Gas Line  (Read 6946 times)

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
Beer in Gas Line
« on: April 22, 2012, 10:20:36 am »
Somehow (it took some effort), I managed to get a small amount of beer into one of my gas lines - maybe a couple of drops. My options seem to be 1) RDWHAHB, 2) try to purge the line with some sanitizer, or 3) replace the line.

It seems to me that, in a chilled CO2 environment, it would be difficult for bad bugs to infest the line, so maybe option 1 is fine. But then again, a few feet of line is pretty cheap, so go with 3. No votes for 2, so far.

Recommendations?

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Beer in Gas Line
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 10:29:13 am »
I vote for #3.  Like you said, line is cheap and I'd be worried that something will eventually grow in there.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 12:34:35 pm »
I vote for #1 for now.
Make sure the gas line is above the keg and serve yourself a beer and it should all go into the keg.
When the keg is done, clean and sanitize the line. And cut the gas-in diptube so it is shorter so it won't be in the beer.
RDWHAHB
Brew on

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 12:42:22 pm »
I vote for #1, because I've had this happen and it didn't hurt a thing. I removed the connector and depressed the poppet. CO2 and beer shot out. Done deal. It's beer in a CO2 environment. I eventually cleaned the line, but that's  a regular thing I do anyway.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 01:27:53 pm »
I wouldn't worry about it.  A few drops of beer in the line won't hurt a thing.
Ron Price

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 05:57:51 am »
+1 to RDWHAHB.  Just clean it out when you change your next keg.  If you have extra line, then replace it if you want, but not necessary.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 07:29:01 pm »
I'm gonna go with #2 on this one...mostly because nobody voted for it. Sanitizing line is easy and cheaper than buying a new one.
Beer is like music. I don't have a favorite. I'll take a well-made example of any style!