Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Returning home with beer when traveling?  (Read 6845 times)

Offline tankdeer

• Brewer
  • Portland, OR
Re: Returning home with beer when traveling?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2009, 11:31:28 am »
Sounds like a real pain in the ass.   >:(

If  tsa has its way you'll be going thur the strip search machines at every airport.

sample pics
The TSA's image does NOT show the true resolution of the devices. In the image obtained by CNN you can clearly tell the man is circumcised.
Who knew TSA had such a strong desire to see my doodle?

Well I'll be going on my first international trip in late Feb - early March. Should be an, uh, interesting experience. :-\
No TV and no beer make Homer something something...

Offline joelambic

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 12:28:25 pm »
I think if the TSA had their way, nobody would be able to fly.

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2009, 09:05:01 am »
Hate to say it  but I told ya!   in 3 wks body scans for all US-bound air passengers flying out of Schiphol airport.

Happy New year >:(
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 09:41:27 am by uthristy »

Offline wilypig

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 11:45:27 am »
I have been successful at bringing up to 36 bottles home in one trip from Holland. Proper packaging techniques are required. Make sure each bottle is individually wrapped and placed in such a way that it will not move around. Also you want to make sure that the TSA or foreign security screeners cant screw it up. There is nothing worse than taking an hour to pack your bag and then some uneducated (in the ways of packing) or unappreciative bone head unpacks your stuff and just jams it back in the suitcase, creating a giant CF or worse yet a pile of broken glass and wet smelly clothes. I have carried over 200 bottles of homebrew and commercial beer around the world and the worst thing that happened was some wet jeans due to caps that were not crimped properly or the swing cap got pushed open on the heel of my shoe. good luck. I also carry a second bag in my large bag just in case I see something that I must have in my collection. With baggage fees the way they are right now this is problematic though.
If you can make mac and cheese from a box, you can make great beer.
Weiz Guys Homebrew club Loveland CO
Wilypig Fermentation Specialties

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 12:00:27 pm »
Yeah, I brought back a bunch of 750ml and bombers from the East Coast along with a couple of books from a Borders closing down a location and I'll be damned if my bag wasn't 20 pounds over the limit......Whoops!   :o

That $75 fee might not have been worth the good beer I can't normally get and obviously the discount on the books wasn't worth it.  :-[

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
    • Bristle Bros. Brewing Blog
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2010, 03:30:59 pm »
I only did it once.  Like a previous poster I stuck them in socks in my dirty laundry.  I was flying from the midwest back east.

TSA did search my bag.  No problems though.  All the brew was still there and intact.

If I did it again, I would probably pack it better.  Not sure I can afford to fly ever again though!
Dave Brush

Offline wilypig

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2010, 08:14:17 pm »
I just made a trip from Buffalo NY to San Jose CA - 26 bottles, individually wrapped in a piece of clothing with 3 to 5 per zippy bag. Not one broken or leaked. I did line the edges of the bag with corrugated board to protect from outside influences. Be prepared and all is well. I have 4 bottles of spirits from St Georges Distillery and one from Rogue to get home so back to packing for the return trip. 
If you can make mac and cheese from a box, you can make great beer.
Weiz Guys Homebrew club Loveland CO
Wilypig Fermentation Specialties