Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Light Ale Recipe  (Read 10318 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Light Ale Recipe
« on: April 23, 2012, 11:53:12 am »
I have made the Genessee clone before and it's quite good but I need to make something light for a party and I want to try the following.  Please give me your thoughts on what you think this would be like.  Bear in mind, this is for someone that said "I wish you could make Busch..."  It's not what I would want to drink but it's what I need to make (don't think badly of me...)

6.6 lbs Weyerman Pils Malt
1/2 lb Munich malt - I have to have some sort of complexity.
1 lb Minute Rice
1 oz Hallertau hops at 60
1/2 oz Hallertau hops at 15
WLP007 Dry English Ale (that's what I have ready - would have used WLP001 if I had time to order it).
My efficiency usually runs about 80%

Thoughts?

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
Re: Light Ale Recipe
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 11:57:52 am »
For a Busch drinker that may be a bit too complex haha.  American 2 row, and more rice may be better served here imo.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline bwana

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 12:05:44 pm »
This beer should be fine. I have never brewed with rice so I dont know much about it. I would throw in .25-.5 oz. hops at end of boil. Let us know how it works.

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 08:34:39 pm »
Honestly, I think 1.5 ounces will be too much for hops if you're trying to brew for Busch drinkers. My dad is a Busch Light drinker. I made a blonde with only 1 ounce of palisade hops and the first thing he said after trying it, "too hoppy". What we feel as homebrewers to be water, is like oil to regular light lager drinkers.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 05:09:40 am »
I'd leave the munich in and maybe bump it up to a full pound and also bump the rice up a little while bumping the base malt down to keep the gravity in the right place.  Also, agree with bigchicken about the hops unless you're trying to challenge his pallet a little.

Maybe something like:

5.5 lbs pilsner
1.5 lbs rice
1 lb munich
0.5 - 0.75 oz Hallertauer 60 min
0.5 oz Hallertauer 15 min

That's assuming your hops are around 5% AA. 
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 07:46:06 am »
I'd leave the munich in and maybe bump it up to a full pound and also bump the rice up a little while bumping the base malt down to keep the gravity in the right place.  Also, agree with bigchicken about the hops unless you're trying to challenge his pallet a little.

Maybe something like:

5.5 lbs pilsner
1.5 lbs rice
1 lb munich

Thanks. I will down play the hops, up the rice and Munich. I'm not trying to challenge their pallets. I will have a second keg of better beer for those of us who like beer instead of water....
If I was to make this with lager yeast another time, what yeast would you suggest?

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 08:10:23 am »
You could make the same recipe as either an ale or lager.  Also, if you want to bump up the complexity of the grist a little you could split your base malt between 6-row and pilsner.  Maybe 3 lbs 6-row and the rest pilsner.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 10:27:30 am »
WLP830 is a great yeast for just about any lager. WLP840 if your shooting for Bud. Wyeast 2035 is pretty good for American styles. I just got WLP940. I brewed a light lager with it yesterday. 4.5 gallons at 1.040 and pitched an active 1.030 2L starter that I had going at 50F. My wife needs a lower calorie beer and it will be over 100F here by the time it's ready. I never made one so light before. It's really just growing yeast for my summer lagers anyway.
Here is what I put together.
http://hopville.com/recipe/1313226/lite-american-lager-recipes/el-cortador
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 05:33:05 pm by Malticulous »

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 11:26:26 am »

Maybe something like:

5.5 lbs pilsner
1.5 lbs rice
1 lb munich

Thanks. I will down play the hops, up the rice and Munich. I'm not trying to challenge their pallets. I will have a second keg of better beer for those of us who like beer instead of water....
If I was to make this with lager yeast another time, what yeast would you suggest?

I've heard nothign but great things about the Mexican Lager yeast, it being the cleanest lager yeast out there.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 12:09:34 pm »
Four years ago I used minute rice in a cream ale and it was nice.  It was 2 lbs of flaked corn, 1 lb of the rice and 3/4 lb. of orange blossom honey with some 2-row and Pils malt.  Mashed at 152oF and used WLP029 at 66oF.  It was very hot that summer and this was perfect for the hot weather.  If I used WLP007, I'd ferment as cool as I could - around 62oF-63oF.

"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 02:00:55 pm »
Four years ago I used minute rice in a cream ale and it was nice.  It was 2 lbs of flaked corn, 1 lb of the rice and 3/4 lb. of orange blossom honey with some 2-row and Pils malt.  Mashed at 152oF and used WLP029 at 66oF.  It was very hot that summer and this was perfect for the hot weather.  If I used WLP007, I'd ferment as cool as I could - around 62oF-63oF.

That sounds really good.  Sounds like it'd be a good recipe to brew to get a new generation of yeast going plus a good light drinker for hot days.
Jesse

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 02:24:50 pm »
looks okay but i think busch has more corn as an adjunct where as its brother budweiser uses the rice.  i am not a 100% sure on that. 
Don AHA member

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 03:56:26 pm »
I always thought it was Coors that used a lot of rice.

At least that's what we thought back in HS when we were drinking Extra Gold.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 12:41:29 pm »
I know Miller uses corn, Bud uses rice. No idea about what Coors or Busch use. I normally would use corn but I want the lightest flavour profile I can get and although I like corn flavour in a cream ale, I'm hoping to stay completely neutral. Hence the rice.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 04:38:55 pm »
WLP830 is a great yeast for just about any lager. WLP840 if your shooting for Bud. Wyeast 2035 is pretty good for American styles. I just got WLP940. I brewed a light lager with it yesterday. 4.5 gallons at 1.040 and pitched an active 1.030 2L starter that I had going at 50F. My wife needs a lower calorie beer and it will be over 100F here by the time it's ready. I never made one so light before. It's really just growing yeast for my summer lagers anyway.
Here is what I put together.
http://hopville.com/recipe/1313226/lite-american-lager-recipes/el-cortador

The WLP-940 is one that I must try. The local lager brewery uses it and the beers are very good, right up with the beers they use 833 to make.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!