Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First cider questions  (Read 4386 times)

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
First cider questions
« on: May 15, 2012, 09:55:55 pm »
I am attempting my first cider, and haven't been able to find any info on a few questions I had...  Do I need to aerate before adding yeast?  Do I need to add DAP and energizer? If so, how much? Do I need to add them in increments like mead?  Thanks guys...
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: First cider questions
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 10:07:57 pm »
Yes aerate. Nutrient is a good idea. You don't need to treat it like mead but just like beer IMO. And it doesn't need to be rocket fuel either- I like mine around 5% if it is carbonated.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 05:05:34 am »
I've posted my cider method in homebrewopedia under common cider - Delmarva Cider, if you want to look it up. Unless you've heated it, which you shouldn't, cider is well aerated already. Boiling drives oxygen out of beer wort. And I've nix nutrients. All they'll do is help the yeast eat up those last few bits of sugar and bone dry cider doesn't taste like much. Ferment cold if you can. It will be better.

And I see euge and I have given you opposite answers ... That's the internet for you.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 05:07:35 am by mtnrockhopper »
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 08:21:41 am »
I wouldn't boil it either. I've always gave it a whirl with the paint-stirrer before pitching but if the cider is fresh pressed you could skip that step.

I meant like beer as in not like the steps you need to take with mead.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 06:31:58 pm »
Thanks guys. I knew better than to boil it, so no worries.  Just wasn't sure about nutrients and aerating. I do appreciate the info!
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.