Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cider Questions  (Read 15395 times)

Offline jdim88

• 1st Kit
Re: Cider Questions
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 01:59:06 pm »
when cider is heat pasteurized the sugars (and most of the flavor) is boiled off, and then sugar is added
This doesn't make any sense, sugars can't be boiled off. Volitile flavors and aromas can be boiled off, but with most equipment the process is enclosed so the vapors are recondensed into the liquid. Also, pasteurization never get the liquid near boiling.
[/quote]

whoops, brain fart! yes the flavors do escape when pasteurization temperature is reached, about 160, which is why in my neck of the woods the orchards add sugar back to replace the lost flavor. I'm not sure if the pasteurized cider I've tried had the vapors recondensed into it, but there is a huge taste difference between it and the UV treated cider that my orchard makes. I prefer the UV-treated cider unless I am going to do a wild fermentation.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 03:03:51 pm »
I'm gonna slightly disagree with Tom. Cote des Blanc is the best wine yeast I've used to make cider, but I prefer every ale yeast I've used over Cote des Blanc. T-58 is my fav, but S-04 and US-05 are good too. The wine yeasts are too vinous for me, and they attenuate too well.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2012, 03:07:39 pm »
I'm gonna slightly disagree with Tom. Cote des Blanc is the best wine yeast I've used to make cider, but I prefer every ale yeast I've used over Cote des Blanc. T-58 is my fav, but S-04 and US-05 are good too. The wine yeasts are too vinous for me, and they attenuate too well.
I'm going to have to try something different next time :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 02:05:40 pm »
Thanks guys so far this cider is turning out great!

The gravity of the cider was 1.018, last night.  Next question, when I get to the point when I want to end fermenting what is your process.  I tried the Potassium sorbate and super kleer method and I thought it stripped some of the flavor in my mead. 

I have heard about using a crushed campden tab to stun the yeast then 24 hrs later use potassium sulphate to kill them?

Other suggestions?
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 01:16:35 pm »
I have heard about using a crushed campden tab to stun the yeast then 24 hrs later use potassium sulphate to kill them?

This is what I do, though I add them at the same time. I assume you mean potassium sorbate, since potassium sulphate and campden are the same thing.

Sorbate won't kill yeast, by the way, just prevent renewed activity.

Edit: If you're going to keg and drink it relatively quickly, you can also cold crash, rack it off the yeast and keep it cold. That will work for a while (a couple months) though eventually it will dry out further.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 01:18:38 pm by mtnrockhopper »
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958