Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hoppy sparge water?  (Read 4179 times)

Offline andrew000141

• Assistant Brewer
Hoppy sparge water?
« on: April 24, 2012, 03:37:31 pm »
I was reading another forum and some of you guys were talking about hopping your sparge water. The idea intrigued me and i want to know what the effects of doing this are. I also had the idea of hopping the priming sugar when you boil it. I don't know what the effects of what either of these things are and i would appreciate if anyone who has tried these could give me some info. Would it contribute to flavor aroma or bitterness or would it depend of the boil time?
Fermenting:
Cherry melomel

In Kegs:
Saison
Irish Red
Thanksgiving Cider
Rye Pale Ale
IIPA
Ayinger Maibock clone
Moose drool clone

Bottles:
Mead

Keep your nose out of trouble and no trouble will come to you

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
Re: Hoppy sparge water?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 03:48:37 pm »
the effects would that of first wort hopping (FWH) i assume. it is not something i have ever gotten around to doing.  there should be some threads on here about that though.
Don AHA member

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 03:49:13 pm »
Based on my trials, the only effect from hopping your sparge water is that you waste hops.  It has absolutely no effect on the beer.  Hopping the water for your priming sugar gives you a harsh, astringent, vegetal liquid that I personally wouldn't want in my beer.  Sorry to burst your bubble, but some ideas are better as ideas than as reality.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 03:49:56 pm »
the effects would that of first wort hopping (FWH) i assume. it is not something i have ever gotten around to doing.  there should be some threads on here about that though.

Nope, sorry, it wouldn't.  Adding hops to water is very different than adding hops to wort.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 04:00:19 pm »

Nope, sorry, it wouldn't.  Adding hops to water is very different than adding hops to wort.

sorry, thought he meant his initial strike water before doughing in. need to read slower i guess. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 04:02:31 pm by weithman5 »
Don AHA member

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 04:08:17 pm »

sorry, thought he meant his initial strike water before doughing in. need to read slower i guess.

That's OK...that doesn't work, either!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 04:42:37 pm »
What about the OPs question about boiling hops in the priming water.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 09:32:29 am »
What about the OPs question about boiling hops in the priming water.

Harsh, vegetal, astringent....IMO, hop teas made with water don't work.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline andrew000141

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 10:10:40 am »
What if the priming sugar was DME wouldn't that make it act more like beer than water?
Fermenting:
Cherry melomel

In Kegs:
Saison
Irish Red
Thanksgiving Cider
Rye Pale Ale
IIPA
Ayinger Maibock clone
Moose drool clone

Bottles:
Mead

Keep your nose out of trouble and no trouble will come to you

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 10:45:31 am »

okay. i had to research first wort hopping to find the differences.  i appreciate the clarity. it is not something i have ever done.  i had always thought that the hops were kind of thrown in with the mash but now i see that they are thrown in as the wort is collected, and steeped as the boil starts. i see that there would be differences in bitterness or flavor but not what that difference  would be though.

not that i have any desire to do twhat the op is considering but i may fwh now that i have read a bit on it
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 10:57:38 am by weithman5 »
Don AHA member

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
Hoppy sparge water?
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 12:05:31 pm »
What if the priming sugar was DME wouldn't that make it act more like beer than water?

Yes it would.  I still don't think you'd get enough hop character to make a difference, but that would at least be a better way to test it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
Hoppy sparge water?
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 12:06:41 pm »

okay. i had to research first wort hopping to find the differences.  i appreciate the clarity. it is not something i have ever done.  i had always thought that the hops were kind of thrown in with the mash but now i see that they are thrown in as the wort is collected, and steeped as the boil starts. i see that there would be differences in bitterness or flavor but not what that difference  would be though.

not that i have any desire to do twhat the op is considering but i may fwh now that i have read a bit on it

I've fund FWH is a great way to get hop flavor in a beer and adds a nice smooth bitterness.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 12:10:02 pm »

I've fund FWH is a great way to get hop flavor in a beer and adds a nice smooth bitterness.

While I agree with FWH adding more flavor, it seems to fade quicker over time. Have you experienced this?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
Hoppy sparge water?
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 12:11:55 pm »

While I agree with FWH adding more flavor, it seems to fade quicker over time. Have you experienced this?

I can't say I've noticed that, but since you mentioned it I'll check to see if I notice it in the future.

www.dennybrew.com