Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 1st round NHC results  (Read 53607 times)

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
Re: 1st round NHC results
« Reply #165 on: May 05, 2012, 02:37:49 pm »
I in no way intended to take advantage of any feedback, sorry if it seemed so. I have not received score sheets yet anyway.I just entered the contest this year and don't really know the rules for advancing.What I was curious about is, I had brewed this beer last year with a slightly different crystal malt ratio and personally liked it better. I appreciate any feedback good or bad and see it as something to learn from.   Sound advice jetmac, I think I'll do just that.
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #166 on: May 06, 2012, 01:22:42 pm »
I've known some brewers who've submitted a completely different beer to the second round.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #167 on: May 06, 2012, 04:59:08 pm »
I am going to rebrew the beers that got passed on to the second round, taste them against the original beer and send the one that tastes better.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #168 on: May 06, 2012, 05:11:43 pm »
I am going to rebrew the beers that got passed on to the second round, taste them against the original beer and send the one that tastes better.
This is a good strategy.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #169 on: May 07, 2012, 07:40:41 am »
my apologies to the chicago judges.  i tried one of my beers that i bottled and sent in.  not as good as it was kegged.  i screwed them up somehow.  i couldn't drink it. :P
Don AHA member

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #170 on: May 07, 2012, 07:42:13 am »
my apologies to the chicago judges.  i tried one of my beers that i bottled and sent in.  not as good as it was kegged.  i screwed them up somehow.  i couldn't drink it. :P
Can you describe the taste that was off? Just interested in what went wrong.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline mroakley

• Cellarman
    • The Grain Trust
« Reply #171 on: May 07, 2012, 11:17:57 am »

Ditto!   :)

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #172 on: May 07, 2012, 11:25:39 am »
haven't heard what the judges thought yet
but in the bottle i opened up it had the medicinal taste.  i have started using campden thinking this may be chlorine. i did not notice this in the 2gallons that i had kegged. i had not had any out of the bottles i had just given this to people who had helped me brew, friends etc.  they may not have picked up on it.  i must have not used the campden like i thought but am not sure because the taste was not there on the kegged part.  to be fair though, we drank all two gallons kegged on st. pats day and the abnormality may have been surpassed by the alcohol 8)
Don AHA member

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #173 on: May 07, 2012, 11:31:42 am »

Are you saying that you can submit a beer from a different batch in the second round after you've read the comments?

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #174 on: May 07, 2012, 11:46:09 am »

Are you saying that you can submit a beer from a different batch in the second round after you've read the comments?

I've never seen a rule directly addressing this and even if there was who would ever know what you did.  I suspect often beers are slightly tweaked before being submitted to the 2nd round.  Even if they weren't rebrewed, you could: use acid to adjust the ph slightly, add sinamar extract to make it a bit darker, add some fruit extract, re-dry hop a keg, blend some beers, etc.

In the past I have rebrewed for the 2nd round and it hasn't ever helped me, best I've done in the 2nd round is made it to a mini-BOS.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #175 on: May 07, 2012, 11:53:13 am »

Some styles almost require that you rebrew if you want to medal. German Wheat for example.

Some styles won't be ready if you rebrew, a Barleywine or a Doppelbock are examples.

As pointed out, some could be fine tuned or blended with a little of another beer.  As long as it is all your homebrew and it fits the style category you had in the first round, it is allowed.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #176 on: May 07, 2012, 12:07:11 pm »

I've never seen a rule directly addressing this and even if there was who would ever know what you did.  I suspect often beers are slightly tweaked before being submitted to the 2nd round.  Even if they weren't rebrewed, you could: use acid to adjust the ph slightly, add sinamar extract to make it a bit darker, add some fruit extract, re-dry hop a keg, blend some beers, etc.

In the past I have rebrewed for the 2nd round and it hasn't ever helped me, best I've done in the 2nd round is made it to a mini-BOS.

Do overs just don't seem fair to me.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #177 on: May 07, 2012, 12:11:15 pm »

except you are talking about 2 months between 1st and 2nd rounds. as hopfen syas, if you brew a german wheat and it makes it to the second round, it will not be anywhere near it's best 2 months later, now 3 months old. It seems to be like not allowing a rebrew is unfair to those entering a style that doesn't do well over time. After all that barley wine that advances will likely be better after those extra two months than it was in the first round. is that fair?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #178 on: May 07, 2012, 12:15:34 pm »

except you are talking about 2 months between 1st and 2nd rounds. as hopfen syas, if you brew a german wheat and it makes it to the second round, it will not be anywhere near it's best 2 months later, now 3 months old. It seems to be like not allowing a rebrew is unfair to those entering a style that doesn't do well over time. After all that barley wine that advances will likely be better after those extra two months than it was in the first round. is that fair?

I agree with you and the process should be sped up to eliminate that problem. There should be enough beer submitted and be judged in a timely manner for it to really be a fair contest. Just my opinion.

I had no idea this is how it worked.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #179 on: May 07, 2012, 12:15:59 pm »
being able to rebrew does not bother me. afterall it already advanced. it is like having two weeks off after the championship game to prepare for the superbowl.  and everyone is on the same playing field again, with the risk of screwing it up.  having a rebrew be mandatory would be bad, and having the ability to change categories would be bad but i see no problems with this as is.
Don AHA member