Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 1st round NHC results  (Read 53911 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: 1st round NHC results
« Reply #180 on: May 07, 2012, 12:19:28 pm »
I agree with you and the process should be sped up to eliminate that problem. There should be enough beer submitted and be judged in a timely manner for it to really be a fair contest. Just my opinion.

I had no idea this is how it worked.
Get me 800 or so judges in a single location and we'll do the entire thing in one day.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #181 on: May 07, 2012, 12:25:31 pm »
I agree with you and the process should be sped up to eliminate that problem. There should be enough beer submitted and be judged in a timely manner for it to really be a fair contest. Just my opinion.

Get me 800 or so judges in a single location and we'll do the entire thing in one day.

I'm of the opinion, if you can't do it right, don't do it at all. This seems very unfair from a contest standpoint.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #182 on: May 07, 2012, 12:30:18 pm »
I don't know about that.  Same brewers, same beer.  They've already advanced and everyone has the same opportunity.

Plus, even two bottles from the same batch could be substantially different (infection, whatever).

This seems to be a reasonable way to handle it.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #183 on: May 07, 2012, 12:33:45 pm »
At the very least, I think the comment sheets should be held until the beer is either eliminated or wins the final. By eliminated I mean it can't move forward.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 12:35:33 pm by bo »

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #184 on: May 07, 2012, 12:45:40 pm »
haven't heard what the judges thought yet
but in the bottle i opened up it had the medicinal taste.  i have started using campden thinking this may be chlorine. i did not notice this in the 2gallons that i had kegged. i had not had any out of the bottles i had just given this to people who had helped me brew, friends etc.  they may not have picked up on it.  i must have not used the campden like i thought but am not sure because the taste was not there on the kegged part.  to be fair though, we drank all two gallons kegged on st. pats day and the abnormality may have been surpassed by the alcohol 8)

How did you clean your bottles?  Maybe it wasn't chlorine from the water but something from cleaning the bottles (especially if you used bleach)
Joe

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #185 on: May 07, 2012, 12:47:00 pm »
Don't forget, it's a competition.  Some consider it to be the Superbowl of comps.  I think people should do whatever they can ( outside of cheating ) to present their best beer.  If that means rebrewing, not rebrewing, etc, so be it.

I don't think holding scoresheets would matter too much.  Some will rebrew even before they know they advanced.  Maybe they tweek the recipe based on comments from other competitions.  I got my scoresheets back a month before the official release of the results ( I sent to the Philly region ), but none of them were marked with a place awarded.  I figured they didn't make it through.  Then the results came out and I got a second in the Light Lager category ( thankfully I didn't drink it all yet ).  Maybe the AHA can have the regions not mark a place awarded on the sheet, that way everyone knows at the same time.

As long as everyone has the same opportunity, then bring it on.  My entry going forward is a Munich Helles.  I'm not rebrewing it, mostly because I'm lazy, but also I just don't have the time.  If it doesn't win in the second round, that's ok.

I think the AHA and all the volunteers are doing a great job running the largest homebrew competition in the world.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline lornemagill

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin/Round Rock, TX
« Reply #186 on: May 07, 2012, 07:52:43 pm »
got my score sheets back from denver to day.  got a 34 on my bedrliner weisse.  my first ever entry and i am pleased with the comments and competition.  it did take a while to get my score sheets but i understand given the size of the competition.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #187 on: May 07, 2012, 08:25:49 pm »
haven't heard what the judges thought yet
but in the bottle i opened up it had the medicinal taste.  i have started using campden thinking this may be chlorine. i did not notice this in the 2gallons that i had kegged. i had not had any out of the bottles i had just given this to people who had helped me brew, friends etc.  they may not have picked up on it.  i must have not used the campden like i thought but am not sure because the taste was not there on the kegged part.  to be fair though, we drank all two gallons kegged on st. pats day and the abnormality may have been surpassed by the alcohol 8)

How did you clean your bottles?  Maybe it wasn't chlorine from the water but something from cleaning the bottles (especially if you used bleach)
thanks hokerer. i did not directly use bleach. but i did run them through the dishwasher on sanitize. something that i had not done in the past.  i don't think i had put any detergent in but i suppose there could be some residual.  i will chalk it up to that, or maybe not using campden. the two batches in lagering i used bottled or filtered water. but i did use the dishwasher again for the bottles.  will find out in 6 more weeks.
Don AHA member

Offline jetmac

• 1st Kit
« Reply #188 on: May 08, 2012, 07:10:24 am »
  I got my scoresheets back a month before the official release of the results

This shouldn't happen. I have yet to get a score sheet after placing 2nd in the American ale category at my judging center. So now you've had an extra 5 weeks to see the judges results and decide whether or not to rebrew.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 10:13:37 am by jetmac »

Offline koelschbrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #189 on: May 08, 2012, 11:30:21 am »
Had anyone received their scoresheets from Atlanta?

Offline jetmac

• 1st Kit
« Reply #190 on: May 08, 2012, 12:19:46 pm »
Had anyone received their scoresheets from Atlanta?

I haven't yet.

I emailed the contact, Daniel Howell, and have yet to receive a response.  So I Emailed again a few minutes ago
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 12:27:44 pm by jetmac »

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #191 on: May 11, 2012, 12:18:24 am »

I'm of the opinion, if you can't do it right, don't do it at all. This seems very unfair from a contest standpoint.
I am of the opinion that if you can't do it in an ideal way, do your best.

All of the second round beers are judged on the same day.  Since the beers may be rebrewed or tweaked, that means the first round sites are essentially regional qualifiers for a style of beer.  For a competition this size and with the limited judging pool, that is as fair as it can be.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #192 on: May 11, 2012, 10:05:23 am »

All of the second round beers are judged on the same day.  Since the beers may be rebrewed or tweaked, that means the first round sites are essentially regional qualifiers for a style of beer.  For a competition this size and with the limited judging pool, that is as fair as it can be.

I understand the enormity of the competition, but I still don't think that the judges comments should be given to those that qualify for extended rounds. To me, that implies a do-over.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #193 on: May 11, 2012, 10:08:30 am »

I understand the enormity of the competition, but I still don't think that the judges comments should be given to those that qualify for extended rounds. To me, that implies a do-over.

I understand what your saying, but judging is still a very subjective process.  I've entered the exact same beer in different competitions, and the judging sheets said wildly different things. 

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
1st round NHC results
« Reply #194 on: May 11, 2012, 10:14:13 am »

I think it's more fair that way.  Personally, I have the privilege of knowing 5-6 National judges (not counting myself) whom I can get to sample my beer and give me feedback any time I want.  Most entrants don't have that luxury.  By getting everyone their scoresheets before they re-brew, we're leveling the playing field, if anything.