Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 1st round NHC results  (Read 53780 times)

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
Re: 1st round NHC results
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2012, 11:46:58 am »
Anyone receive scoresheets from Pittsburg yet?  I hoping the old saying "no news is good news" applies... 

Thank you to all the volunteers! I hope next year to be a recognized judge and volunteer myself.
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline bbkf

• Cellarman
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2012, 12:12:15 pm »
Anyone receive scoresheets from Pittsburg yet?  I hoping the old saying "no news is good news" applies... 

Thank you to all the volunteers! I hope next year to be a recognized judge and volunteer myself.

I talked to the organizer last saturday.  He has all the scores entered into the database.  He said that the scoresheets would be mailed out this week.  I live in pittsburgh and I don't have my sheets yet.

Offline bbkf

• Cellarman
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2012, 12:15:22 pm »

I hope that guy won something, it's almost 5% of the total entries for the region!

I heard there was a dude in texas that entered there with 70+ entries!

Offline thetooth

• Assistant Brewer
  • Long Beach, CA
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2012, 12:27:36 pm »

I hope that guy won something, it's almost 5% of the total entries for the region!

:o

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2012, 12:28:59 pm »

I talked to the organizer last saturday.  He has all the scores entered into the database.  He said that the scoresheets would be mailed out this week.  I live in pittsburgh and I don't have my sheets yet.

Good enough and thanks for the heads up! T-minus 1 week till the results are posted online.
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2012, 12:30:32 pm »

OK governing board, if this is true, we need to do something about this.  Many people were unable to enter.  If one guy can 10% of the entries for one region, something is clearly wrong.

Offline mroakley

• Cellarman
    • The Grain Trust
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2012, 12:37:18 pm »

OK governing board, if this is true, we need to do something about this.  Many people were unable to enter.  If one guy can 10% of the entries for one region, something is clearly wrong.

Just curious.  Why is something "clearly wrong?"  Unless that person had early access to registration, he or she is still on the same playing field as everyone else eh?  Or is there a concern about this person entering beers into the same sub-categories?

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2012, 12:42:56 pm »

Just curious.  Why is something "clearly wrong?"  Unless that person had early access to registration, he or she is still on the same playing field as everyone else eh?  Or is there a concern about this person entering beers into the same sub-categories?

Becasue for one person to take almost 10% of the entries in one region disallows many other brewers from entering.  I hear what you are saying about leval playing field and all, but even limiting it to 20 entries would satisafy 95% of our membership I would think.  And I think our governing comittee has a responsbility to that 95% over and above the 5% that enter so many beers. 

JMO, but I would be remiss to keep it to myself.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 12:45:32 pm by micsager »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2012, 12:46:29 pm »

There can be something wrong if it is against the rules. Please show where it is against the rules and I will then agree that something is wrong.

There were that legandary story in the past of a guy who entered all subcatigories, beer, mead, and cider.  It that happened - I don't know if it is true - there was nothing wrong with it then, not now unless the rules say it is not.

Campaign for a rule change if you wish.

Edit - Just saw your new thread.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2012, 12:49:26 pm »

There can be something wrong if it is against the rules. Please show where it is against the rules and I will then agree that something is wrong.

There were that legandary story in the past of a guy who entered all subcatigories, beer, mead, and cider.  It that happened - I don't know if it is true - there was nothing wrong with it then, not now unless the rules say it is not.

That's exactly what I am doing.  And while I think you meant there "can't" be something wrong if the rules were followed, I disagree.  I'm not accusing anyone of cheating or anything.  But not all rules are necessarily "right."

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2012, 12:57:07 pm »
If someone had the time, organization, and money to brew and enter 70 beers, my hat is off to them.

The way to eliminate this behavior is to eliminate the Ninkasi award.  The possibillity of that happening can be found at notgonnahappen.com. 
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2012, 01:20:18 pm »

How certain are you of that rumor?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2012, 01:23:34 pm »

I have to agree with you, Jeff.  There's nothing in the rules that says he can't.  Now, maybe the rules need to be changed for the future, but I'm not even certain of that.  Maybe people just need to be made aware that the comp fills up fast and they need to be ready to enter ASAP.  Maybe we need some other way to deal with it.  At any rate, the AHA and the GC are aware of the number of people disappointed that they didn't get to enter and one of our prime issues is to find a way to take care of the problem.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2012, 01:24:46 pm »
RDWHAHB

Offline mroakley

• Cellarman
    • The Grain Trust
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2012, 01:25:52 pm »

Becasue for one person to take almost 10% of the entries in one region disallows many other brewers from entering.  I hear what you are saying about leval playing field and all, but even limiting it to 20 entries would satisafy 95% of our membership I would think.  And I think our governing comittee has a responsbility to that 95% over and above the 5% that enter so many beers. 

JMO, but I would be remiss to keep it to myself.

But as far as I know, that person didn't break any rules.  To the best of my (extremely limited) knowledge, everyone had the same opportunity to register their respective entries starting at the same time.  I don't see how this is "clearly wrong." 

If you feel that not having an entry cap isn't "right" then I agree you should try and have the rule changed.  I'm not sure how I personally feel about it honestly.  If someone takes the time and effort to brew and coordinate and have 70 entries, who am I to say he or she shouldn't be able to?  I can understand your position to a degree, but if someone really wants to enter, shouldn't they enter right away to ensure the regional cap isn't hit before they have a chance?  Rather than push for an entry cap per person,  and essentially punish someone who has worked hard to have 70 entries, why not encourage an increase in the regional cap?