Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 1st round NHC results  (Read 53616 times)

Offline brewmanator

• Cellarman
Re: 1st round NHC results
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2012, 02:04:51 pm »
I saw that as a potential problem, but I suspect that we have less than 7500 members who are truly interested in entering the NHC.
- Mike

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2012, 02:05:13 pm »
If every AHA member got 1 entry, there would be in excess of 30K entries.  That would exacerbate the problem.
If everyone got one entry, and the Ninkasi was based on the medal points divided by the number of entries - every Gold winner would be Ninkasi winner! Problem solved!

Oh wait, what?

Edit -  ;D
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 02:15:50 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2012, 02:12:12 pm »
If every AHA member got 1 entry, there would be in excess of 30K entries.  That would exacerbate the problem.
If everyone got one entry, and the Ninkasi was based on the medal points divided by the number of entries - every Gold winner would be Ninkasi winner! Problem solved!

Oh wait, what?

Awesome, it will be just like t-ball...everyone gets a trophy  ;D
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline brewmanator

• Cellarman
« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2012, 02:38:36 pm »
How about this then?  Stagger the registration such that for the first 5 days of the registration you are allowed only one entry.  After five days free for all.  That should give everyone interested in entering enough time to get at least one beer into the competition. (Apologies if something like this has already been suggested.)

As far as the Ninkasi award, there should be enough people with multiple entries under this type of registration to keep the integrity of that award.  If 7500 people register within the first 5 days, Oh well.  I think it is more important to give everyone who wants to enter as good of a chance as possible to get in.
- Mike

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2012, 02:43:50 pm »
Another idea would be to treat it somewhat like other events which have out grown the available resources.
Have medal winners from "sanctioned" events throughout the year earn a spot in the NHC if they want it. This could allot a certain number of entries out of the total availbable, say 1500. That would give the "serious" people an opportunity to go for Ninkasi and get in as many beers as are "worthy".  Have them sign up those beers a week before open registration so the known number of openings can be posted. Someone medaling one of those events is not required to enter NHC of course. Then have the open registration commence with say 1-2 entries per person per day, with a no hold limit after 1 week(yes it won't get that far).

This should include a lot more people, increase the number of "quality" beers, and increase the number of entries in other competitions. Just an idea.

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #95 on: April 30, 2012, 02:44:49 pm »
I would love to have the right of refusal (as an AHA member) for a day or two on one entry per year (same with the conference)...I don't want to have to take a day off waiting at my computer refreshing every 3 seconds to get my beer into a competetion or registered for the AHA conference....that is way too much of a hassle.  I have a hard enough time finding the time to brew.  You might as well make me camp out the night before at your offices in Boulder with my bottle in hand (its not that that wouldn't be fun, but I would end up drinking the beer before it got to the entry).  This doesn't solve the number's problem (30k enteries), but....

...perhaps you give vouchers for guaranteed enteries to next year's comp for volunteering this year (one per shift for stewards, two for judges) or similar preference in the conference purchase...I volunteer because I like to and most years do not enter any beers, but I would like the option without worrying about it filling up in a day or two while I am busy relaxing, not worrying, and having a homebrew.

While I am on this rant, let's talk about the "member's only" session at the GABF.  Can we make showing your membership card (ie actually being a member) and having a ticket the price of entry for this session?
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #96 on: April 30, 2012, 03:51:37 pm »
I like this everyone-gets-an-entry stuff.
Sure there are more than 30K members, but until the last couple years it hasn't filled up, so there's plenty of history of less than 10% of the membership participating.
I like the max 5 entries per day stuff too.  It won't help with the explosive growth of the competition/hobby for more than a couple years but it's a start.
And as for the GABF "members-only" stuff, that makes way too much sense; stop that crazy talk! 

cheers--
--Michael

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #97 on: April 30, 2012, 08:43:52 pm »
You do know that by the time you get these changes implemented the fad will be over right?  Or do you think the brewing craze is here to stay?

I still like the summer/winter beer olympics theme though.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #98 on: April 30, 2012, 08:46:40 pm »
You do know that by the time you get these changes implemented the fad will be over right?  Or do you think the brewing craze is here to stay?

I still like the summer/winter beer olympics theme though.

I think beer drinking, in general, is a passing fad. ;)

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
1st round NHC results
« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2012, 09:31:39 pm »
I've not heard this mentioned before, so maybe I'm very much in the minority, but I really don't need the certificates you get for beers over a certain score in the first round.  Seems eliminating those would save quite a bit of money.

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #100 on: May 01, 2012, 12:42:12 am »
I agree. If money is an issue the certificates could be the first thing to go. I have never kept mine.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline koelschbrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #101 on: May 01, 2012, 05:38:54 am »
I agree. No need for certificates and ribbons, and send scoresheets electronically. Saves a ton of money on shipping that could be better invested into growing the competition.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #102 on: May 01, 2012, 05:40:26 am »
I agree. If money is an issue the certificates could be the first thing to go. I have never kept mine.
Yeah, that seems like a waste to me too.  I guess it's back to the t-ball reference where everybody gets a trophy.
I noticed that one of my entries got an honorable mention.  I wonder what I get for that?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #103 on: May 01, 2012, 06:55:01 am »
i am hoping for the certificate.  i want to make copies for the guys who helped me brew. i try to introduce brewing to somebody almost every time i brew.
Don AHA member

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #104 on: May 01, 2012, 07:20:39 am »
Yeah, that seems like a waste to me too.  I guess it's back to the t-ball reference where everybody gets a trophy.
I noticed that one of my entries got an honorable mention.  I wonder what I get for that?
Maybe a certificate? 

Could not pass that one up!  ;)
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!