Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Replacing old tub - can I do this?  (Read 4126 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Replacing old tub - can I do this?
« on: May 20, 2012, 08:54:44 am »
I am not a very good home fix-up guy, but I also was quoted $5K to replace the old, cracked tub in my bathroom. I can do tile and I can handle a little plumbing or pay a pro, but I have no idea how to remove, let alone instal, a tub. Anyone ever do this before?

Offline ethalacker

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Replacing old tub - can I do this?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 09:00:17 am »
If the old tub is cast iron than take a sledge hammer to it and carry it out in smaller pieces.  If you can do some plumbing you should be able to install a tub.  Make sure that the tub is level so you tile doesn't end up off.
BoneHead Brewery
Mableton, GA

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 09:19:18 am »
The tub is some type of acrylic or apoxy. I guess I just need to start by taking it out. Demolition probably won't be my biggest problem.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 09:24:50 am »
5K sounds steep. Is that for a whole bath remodel or just the tub/shower area? Observe how it comes out. You'll figure out how to get another one in.

I like the claw-foot tubs. Installation after a remodel would be a snap.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 09:32:55 am »
this is the same project i am starting.  of course i havent finished the siding, jeep remodel, shed.... but swmbo priority.  it is not all that hard other than the weight of the thing.  +1 to smashing up iron. anything else should be manageable.  remember that tubs are sold as left hand and right hand drain.  simple distinction but hate to see you get caught.  the plumbing for the shower and faucet will be more of a challenge than the drain.
Don AHA member

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 05:01:42 pm »
Dude, forget that mess, and just get it reglazed. Its a fraction of the cost as a new one, and looks brand new when done.

If you do decide to pull it out, go with the sledge hammer, and wear safety goggles. (myself, I wear safety goggles 24 / 7, no matter where I go. Never can be to careful) you'll need to tear your existing surround or tile down, and replace with green board, or ideally, Durock. Be prepared to do some framing also, as you will most likely have to make some modifications to get the new fiberglass tub in, even if the advertised dimensions are the same as the old. And, if you have a cast iron tub, I'm sure you have a least some cast iron plumbing. You'll probably end up tearing some of your floor up too. If you have a few skills, and a BFH (big f***king hammer) you can do it. But I would seriously look at reglazing it. Heck, it might even work out better for you just to fly me down there and let me do the work in exchange for beer and an erotic massage.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 05:03:42 pm »
Oh, and when before you put your new tub down, screw the crap out the floor under it, and put down a nice bed of sand. That keeps it from making ceremony noises when you stand in it.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 05:16:44 pm »
Dude, forget that mess, and just get it reglazed. Its a fraction of the cost as a new one, and looks brand new when done.

If you do decide to pull it out, go with the sledge hammer, and wear safety goggles. (myself, I wear safety goggles 24 / 7, no matter where I go. Never can be to careful) you'll need to tear your existing surround or tile down, and replace with green board, or ideally, Durock. Be prepared to do some framing also, as you will most likely have to make some modifications to get the new fiberglass tub in, even if the advertised dimensions are the same as the old. And, if you have a cast iron tub, I'm sure you have a least some cast iron plumbing. You'll probably end up tearing some of your floor up too. If you have a few skills, and a BFH (big f***king hammer) you can do it. But I would seriously look at reglazing it. Heck, it might even work out better for you just to fly me down there and let me do the work in exchange for beer and an erotic massage.

I'm not sure there are any reputable massage parlors down here but I'll star looking tomorrow. ;D

Reglazing ... I'll look into that. Can you reglaze and change the color? The woman who owned this house before me was a lesbian doctor and she had some .... Interesting color choices. Maybe she does massages, I'll am her.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 05:37:35 pm »
Dude, no reason to look for a parlor. I'm sure you have magical hands. Yeah, you can change the color to anything you like. You're not into the lesbian decor, eh? Or is it Mrs. Major who's against it?

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 06:12:18 pm »
Oh, and when before you put your new tub down, screw the crap out the floor under it

Before or after the erotic massage?
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 06:22:49 pm »
Either way.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 07:53:47 pm »
The woman who owned this house before me was a lesbian doctor and she had some .... Interesting color choices. Maybe she does massages, I'll am her.

I'm sure she kept the carpets squeaky clean, though...  ;)
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 09:06:13 pm »
FWIW my hands are like 80 grit sandpaper. No carpet, all hardwood. *snicker*

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 09:36:52 pm »
Its all good. It'll be like an exfoliation massage,

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 09:50:59 pm »
Its all good. It'll be like an exfoliation massage,

Now THAT'S erotic!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907