Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oil Make-up of Hops (Building a BoPils Recipe)  (Read 1564 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Oil Make-up of Hops (Building a BoPils Recipe)
« on: April 27, 2012, 01:23:06 pm »
So I will be brewing my first Bohemian Pilsner pretty soon and was wondering what to do hop-wise. I know the classic is to use Czech Saaz, and I may still go that route, but what I have in my freezer right now are: Ultra, US Tettnanger, Crystal, and Serebrianka. Looking up the oil make-up of various hop varietals here http://www.usahops.org/userfiles/file/HGA%20BCI%20Reports/HGA%20Variety%20Manual%20-%20English%20(updated%20March%202011).pdf as well as here http://www.freshops.com/hops/usda-named-hop-variety-descriptions#usda_id_21484, it appears that Serebrianka has virtually an identical oil content to Saaz. Does this mean Serebrianka would be my best bet for aroma? Or does the listed oil make-up hold less merit than I am attributing to it? My plan for right now is to bitter with Ultra at 90 min and 30 min (mine is from the 9% AA 2011 hopsdirect crop) and use about an oz of Serebrianka at 10 min and flameout. Does this sound about right?

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
Re: Oil Make-up of Hops (Building a BoPils Recipe)
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 01:46:54 pm »
A basis of a traditional BoPils is the distinctive spicy Saaz flavour and aroma.  I haven't used Serebrianka so I can't speak to its flavour or aroma profile but doesn't mean it won't make a tasty pils.  If it were me, I'd give it a try!
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Oil Make-up of Hops (Building a BoPils Recipe)
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 08:46:44 pm »
I seem to remember Someone saying that serabranka is a saaz relative. It's a parent strain of cascade as well for what that's worth. Not much I suspect. but perhaps check out the saaz connection. I think it would be interesting. I have not tried that hop yet.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce