Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Nitro bottling  (Read 6832 times)

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
Nitro bottling
« on: April 26, 2012, 09:24:25 am »
Ok I have a hairbrained idea, and thought I'd run it past people who should know better!

It's my understanding that as a homebrewer it's difficult, if not impossible, to bottle a nitro beer and not have it seem flat when it's poured later. We need a widget. Commercial nitro beers, add a small amount of liq N2 right before bottling, which raises the pressure in the bottle and forces the beer into the widget, then when the bottle is opened, the beer escapes the widget, foaming and causing nucleation sites for the rest of the beer.

What if we reused bottles with widgets in them? I may not have ready access to liq N2 (actually at work I do, but it's a logistics thing), but we could add a pellet of dry ice, or maybe if the beer was over beer-gas-carbed to begin with, that would suffice.

Thoughts? Discuss...

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Nitro bottling
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 09:30:14 am »
How about doing it the way Guinness did before the widget?  Guinness used to come with a syringe.  You'd suck up some beer and shoot it back into the glass.  It created the swirling foamy head and decarbonated the beer the same way nitro does to give it the creamy mouthfeel.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 12:08:43 am »
I don't think you can re-sanitize the widget in the bottle.  It might be ok for a time or two though.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 07:40:26 am »
Left Hand brewing figured out how to bottle their nitro Milk Stout without using a widget...couldn't tell you how they did it though.
Jesse

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 02:17:57 pm »
allot of bars use a nitro/CO2 mix. Can you force carb using this to get that creamy head (on draught)? Or do you force with CO2 and use the mix just for serving? I dont know anything about it!
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 02:51:54 pm »
allot of bars use a nitro/CO2 mix. Can you force carb using this to get that creamy head (on draught)? Or do you force with CO2 and use the mix just for serving? I dont know anything about it!

Yes, you force carbonate with CO2 (hence the word "carbonate) and just use the beer gas for serving.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline rgnlkngtylrbmbstk

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 06:50:08 pm »
If all you need is serving pressure, get a rubber stopper with two holes (I think #3 works for bottles) and put a blowtube in one hole, that reaches the bottom of the bottle. The second hole has a restrictor of some sort (e.g. modified bottle filler?) so that when you decap, insert tube and fix stopper, turn upside-down and blow, the beer is "shot" into the glass.
Genius.

Alternately, we could avoid the reverse reverse engineering and enjoy a low-carbonated ale as it is. Pour aggressively for more foam.