Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing This Weekend - 5/4 Edition  (Read 7628 times)

Offline Wheat_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bad Bunny Brewing
Re: What's Brewing This Weekend - 5/4 Edition
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2012, 03:37:21 pm »
I debated what to brew all week and even this morning...I realized the kegs needed cleaning and beer transferred into the clean kegs so no brewing for me sadly. :'(
AHA Lifetime Member

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2012, 06:02:45 am »
Blonde Ale for me.  I was going to do a pale ale but I'm putting that off a few weeks.  I needed to get the liquid yeast procedures down before I brew a special beer for my buddy's 21st birthday.  He wants an oatmeal coffee stout, and I'm going to brew it on May 19th or 26th, so I gotta make sure my liquid yeast techniques work!

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2012, 07:14:55 am »
Brewing a standard bitter and having problems. Pre boil gravity was supposed to be 1.031 but it was 1.012. Used some dry extract to try and fix it. Got it up to 1.031 and it is now boiling. Definitely taking notes to learn from this one.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline jaleclair

• 1st Kit
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2012, 08:44:18 am »
Just getting things in line to bottle my second batch of home brew, which is a Summer Ale from a kit. While preparing my priming sugar I have discovered I made a (hopefully not too bad) mistake in the volume of water used with my first priming sugar mixture. I used 4 cups of water instead of the instructed 2 cups.
Question: How much of a mistake was this?? Is my bottled German Oktoberfest going to be a fizzless failure??
Wife said: " Well John you got to pay may more attention to the marks on that 4 cup measuring cup."
A little advice here would be appreciated even if it is "Sorry Charlie your 2nd batch will be better" or "It is a normal beginner mistake enjoy your flat beer".

Offline amico414

• 1st Kit
What's Brewing This Weekend - 5/4 Edition
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2012, 08:44:46 am »
Brewed a recipe from our LHBS - an APA they call BrewBQ. I doubled the recipe and mashed the entire grain bill, and then split the batch in two.  One batch was hopped using their recipe's hop schedule and for the other we did a late hop variation with all of the hops going in every 3 minutes during the last 15 minutes of the boil. Yeast and dry hops are the same for both batches.

It was quite an exciting and adventurous day - I used my new 15 gallon brew pot atop my new Blichmann burner, finally got my plate chiller up and running, and aerated for the first time with the new Northern Brewer aeration system that I got for my birthday.

All in all a very smooth brew day. And to top it off, we enjoyed several pints of my latest batch of Denny's Wry Smile.  Thanks for that Denny!

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2012, 08:50:55 am »
Just getting things in line to bottle my second batch of home brew, which is a Summer Ale from a kit. While preparing my priming sugar I have discovered I made a (hopefully not too bad) mistake in the volume of water used with my first priming sugar mixture. I used 4 cups of water instead of the instructed 2 cups.
Question: How much of a mistake was this?? Is my bottled German Oktoberfest going to be a fizzless failure??

I doubt anything will be different except your ABV will go down by just a few tenths (maybe hundredths) and your beer will be just a tiny bit thinner.  Two cups ain't nothing!  I don't even measure to be honest, I measured the first time and now I just fill the same pan up to the same amount.  It's worked fine so far...