Author Topic: Oil Make-up of Hops (Building a BoPils Recipe)  (Read 632 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Brewing After Law School
Oil Make-up of Hops (Building a BoPils Recipe)
« on: April 27, 2012, 12:23:06 PM »
So I will be brewing my first Bohemian Pilsner pretty soon and was wondering what to do hop-wise. I know the classic is to use Czech Saaz, and I may still go that route, but what I have in my freezer right now are: Ultra, US Tettnanger, Crystal, and Serebrianka. Looking up the oil make-up of various hop varietals here as well as here, it appears that Serebrianka has virtually an identical oil content to Saaz. Does this mean Serebrianka would be my best bet for aroma? Or does the listed oil make-up hold less merit than I am attributing to it? My plan for right now is to bitter with Ultra at 90 min and 30 min (mine is from the 9% AA 2011 hopsdirect crop) and use about an oz of Serebrianka at 10 min and flameout. Does this sound about right?

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • View Profile
Re: Oil Make-up of Hops (Building a BoPils Recipe)
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 12:46:54 PM »
A basis of a traditional BoPils is the distinctive spicy Saaz flavour and aroma.  I haven't used Serebrianka so I can't speak to its flavour or aroma profile but doesn't mean it won't make a tasty pils.  If it were me, I'd give it a try!
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Oil Make-up of Hops (Building a BoPils Recipe)
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 07:46:44 PM »
I seem to remember Someone saying that serabranka is a saaz relative. It's a parent strain of cascade as well for what that's worth. Not much I suspect. but perhaps check out the saaz connection. I think it would be interesting. I have not tried that hop yet.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce