Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Where are the GUs?  (Read 1352 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Where are the GUs?
« on: September 28, 2018, 01:06:05 pm »
The October issue of Brew has a recipe on Page 59 that has me confused.

The Neshaminy Creek Brewing Co.s Maximum Porter Clone all grain version has an OG of 1.066.

Using the .65 efficiency standard and the potential extract data on page 4 of the issue for the malts listed, and allowing a very generous 100% efficiency for the 4 oz. of coffee-infused dark chocolate (not sure how to calculate that), I come up with 283 GUs. 

Since lactose is not fermentable, I did not add any GUs for the 1.5 lbs of lactose.

But shouldn't 5 gals at 65% efficiency require about 330 GUs for OG of 1.066?

By my calculation, the OG would be about 1.056.  What am I not understanding?

Thanks for your reply.

It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: Where are the GUs?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 01:53:14 pm »
While lactose is not fermentable by typical yeast, that addition does increase the original gravity. I believe that you should include that addition in the gravity calculation.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline TeeDubb

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Jose, CA
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 03:48:56 pm »
Just checking my brew notes from a milk stout made last year.  1 Lb of lactose added to 6 gal of wort near the end of the boil increased the OG about 7-8 points.  It also raised the FG by about the same amount.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 09:02:48 pm »
Thanks, but is there any kind of formula to account for the lactose  contribution or do you just see what increase you got from it  after the fact?

Thanks
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 10:10:59 am »
Thanks, but is there any kind of formula to account for the lactose  contribution or do you just see what increase you got from it  after the fact?

Thanks

Brewer's Friend lists lactose at 41 ppg, meaning that a lb. will add about 8 points to a 5 gal. batch.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 10:48:37 am »
Thanks,

I have my own calculation program in Excel and I will add that in.