Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Low Alcohol Beer Ideas?  (Read 22724 times)

Offline clibit

• Cellarman
Re: Low Alcohol Beer Ideas?
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2018, 09:23:29 am »
Thanks  that's really interesting. An awful lot of commercial beer over here, especially cask beer, is in the 3.8 to 4.5% range. A lot of that beer is very similar, either just base malt, or base malt plus crystal, and then either English or American hops or both, and an English yeast that is relatively neutral. I'm a big fan of mixing English hops with American. Complexity!

But here in Manchester there is a very healthy 'craft beer' scene with lots of small breweries that are copying the American model, in every way - the staff have bushy beards and lumberjack shirts and try to disguise their Northern English accents. Ha ha. Some very good beer being made though. And some not so good. And a growing variety. More and more keg beer, cask is less fashionable especially with the younger beer afficianados. All strengths and beer styles are available. It's healthy and I have never had it so good. I rarely drink pints now either! Mostly 2/3 pints (13oz/378ml), which is widely available here now in Manchester. Which is a similar amount to your measures I think? It's a significant change really, pints are still the norm but smaller measures are becoming fashionable.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2018, 10:03:11 am »
My own brewing has gone to lower ABV in the past few years with APA and Pils under 5%.  I haven't made a big beer in years.

same here
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline clibit

• Cellarman
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2018, 10:19:27 am »

same here

So Denny you are now often under 5%?!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2018, 10:24:36 am »

same here

So Denny you are now often under 5%?!

Pretty much so. At least under 5.5 usually.  My heart just can't take strong beer, or very much beer at all.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline clibit

• Cellarman
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2018, 10:30:48 am »

Pretty much so. At least under 5.5 usually.  My heart just can't take strong beer, or very much beer at all.

But you'd rather drink stronger beer for the extra flavour?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2018, 11:09:27 am »

In general, yes, that seems to be true.  I do find stronger beers more flavorful and easier to brew.  I would usually prefer to drink less of a stronger beer than more of a weaker one.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2018, 11:10:22 am »
It was a few years spent in England (Oxford and London) in the late 80s, experiencing the incredible flavors of best bitters lower in alcohol than even the industrial American lagers of the day, that really established my sense of what "good beer" is.  That's also when I started brewing, knowing that was the only way I'd get something of that nature when I moved back Stateside.  I generally don't brew quite that low, usually 5.0-5.5%, but I've never had a taste for the "big" beers that have dominated over here.  If I brew a little stronger than a typical bitter, or even German draught Helles (another early influence on me,) it's because I try to drink several fewer pints in a session than back in those days.  Quality over quantity.   Which some use to justify those very big beers...
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2018, 04:22:15 pm »

In general, yes, that seems to be true.  I do find stronger beers more flavorful and easier to brew.  I would usually prefer to drink less of a stronger beer than more of a weaker one.
Similar to me, BUT not strength related, quality over quantity. For example,  I'll take one can of ice cold PBR over a case of warm Rolling Rock anyday! But given full choice, I'll take a case of Pelican - Mother of All Storms bombers over one can of PBR. Just takes me longer to enjoy them

Offline clibit

• Cellarman
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2018, 03:06:49 am »
But quality isn't measured by ABV is it? Ive had plenty of good and bad beers at all strengths.

Offline Robert

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2018, 05:51:35 am »
But quality isn't measured by ABV is it? Ive had plenty of good and bad beers at all strengths.
True, but it is a greater challenge to the brewer's skill to achieve a full, balanced flavor in a very low-gravity beer. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline clibit

• Cellarman
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2018, 05:59:06 am »
True, but it is a greater challenge to the brewer's skill to achieve a full, balanced flavor in a very low-gravity beer.

I agree. But some here seem to be saying that higher strength beers are higher quality. Quality stems from brewing skills, surely, not quantities of malt and sugar.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2018, 06:48:20 am »
I believe the English Mild is an under rated beer. Done correctly it has a full rich flavor that invites having several in an evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline clibit

• Cellarman
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2018, 07:52:32 am »
I believe the English Mild is an under rated beer. Done correctly it has a full rich flavor that invites having several in an evening.

It's a very easy drinking beer. I prefer ordinary bitters myself, same kind of strength, more bitter and more hops. Served really fresh with dry hops in the cask they can be fantastic. The British golden ale is also a really good twist on the style, often containing some American hops. The yeast leaves some malt presence and some yeast flavours.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2018, 09:04:19 am »

I completely agree with both of your points.  To the first one, I'm more inclined to pass on a high alcohol beer.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2018, 09:32:23 am »

I agree. But some here seem to be saying that higher strength beers are higher quality. Quality stems from brewing skills, surely, not quantities of malt and sugar.

I don't recall anyone saying stronger beers were higher quality...maybe I missed it, though. 

www.dennybrew.com