Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Scored a tank of beer gas. Now what?  (Read 4723 times)

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
Scored a tank of beer gas. Now what?
« on: April 24, 2012, 11:49:08 am »
So like everything else in this hobby, scoring something on the cheap (a tank of 75/25 beer gas), has now led to the purchase of a restrictor faucet, nitrogen regulator, extra shank, disconnects, sintered stone for the keg, etc...  Nothing's really cheap is it?! :D

So, that all said, to those of you running nitro beers at home, any good advice?

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
Re: Scored a tank of beer gas. Now what?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 11:51:56 am »
nice score, but its like that saying "there's no such thing as a free dog"
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 01:42:32 pm »
What kind of advice are you looking for?  Other than enjoy the new toy :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline harbicide

• Cellarman
  • Barkeeper's Friend will not passivate stainless.
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 05:54:47 pm »
Why did you need a separate nitrogen regulator?  I bought a bottle of beer gas with a regulator on it.  Once the beer gas bottle was MT I got a bottle of CO2 and used the same regulator.
On Tap: 10 yr old Barleywine, Porter, Vienna Lager

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 10:35:42 pm »
Why did you need a separate nitrogen regulator?  I bought a bottle of beer gas with a regulator on it.  Once the beer gas bottle was MT I got a bottle of CO2 and used the same regulator.
More correctly it's a second CO2 regulator, and a thread adapter since CO2 tanks are male, and N2 tanks are female (I'm using Airgas so the beer gas comes in a N2 fitting tank). You have to be a little careful adapting the regulators though; N2 regulators are rated to 3000psi, whereas some CO2 are only rated to 1500psi.

Really I was looking for any lessons learnt, or pointers for good practice. I've figured out that with the restrictor plate in the faucet, line length is less critical, and most links recommend setting the tank to 30psi. It seems the two options are to carb on the beer gas, or preferably to carb to low volumes with CO2, then switch over to the mix gas tank, and let the N2 equilibrate, preferably with a sinter stone connected to the gas in post.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 11:10:40 pm »
Really I was looking for any lessons learnt, or pointers for good practice. I've figured out that with the restrictor plate in the faucet, line length is less critical, and most links recommend setting the tank to 30psi. It seems the two options are to carb on the beer gas, or preferably to carb to low volumes with CO2, then switch over to the mix gas tank, and let the N2 equilibrate, preferably with a sinter stone connected to the gas in post.
I carb to low volumes with CO2 then put it on the beer gas.  I still think the line length is important, but you definitely get a lot more restriction from a stout faucet than a perlick.  I don't bother with a carbing stone, but it could be helpful if you want it ready faster.  I think it is all really pretty easy, but if someone has some tips and tricks I'd love to hear them.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 03:55:52 pm »
So like everything else in this hobby, scoring something on the cheap (a tank of 75/25 beer gas), has now led to the purchase of a restrictor faucet, nitrogen regulator, extra shank, disconnects, sintered stone for the keg, etc...  Nothing's really cheap is it?! :D

So, that all said, to those of you running nitro beers at home, any good advice?

I got a 20lb beer gas tank pretty cheap a while back.  Maybe I was doing something wrong, but my beer always went flat.  So, I just exchanged for straight C02. 

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 12:02:16 am »

I got a 20lb beer gas tank pretty cheap a while back.  Maybe I was doing something wrong, but my beer always went flat.  So, I just exchanged for straight C02. 
Why don't you explain what you were doing Mic.  If you had the pressure at less than 25 psi you were probably doing it wrong. ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 08:23:14 am »

Why don't you explain what you were doing Mic.  If you had the pressure at less than 25 psi you were probably doing it wrong. ;)

I was carbonating with C02, Then pushing with beer gas.  Definately less than 25psi.    Thanks for the info Tom.  I'm happy having the 20 pounder for C02 though.  Over here in the boonies, I pay $18 for a 5 pound tank, and $21 for a 20. 

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 08:33:06 am »
Mic, if you carb on CO2, then push with blend, it will lose carbonation over time because of partial pressures.

For example, I run my CO2 at 15psi. At 39F, this gives me 2.8 volumes of CO2. If I run 75/25 blend at 15 psi, the partial pressure of the CO2 is 25% of 15 psi, so it's effectively 3.5 psi giving me 1.7 volumes, and so over time the beer will lose carbonation, and seem flat.

Now for nitro pours this is a good thing. You need to run them at 25-30psi to get good flow thought the restrictor faucet, but you also want lower volumes. 28psi of 75/25 blend, has a CO2 partial pressure of 7psi, so that's 2 volumes, which is good for stouts.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 08:54:35 am »
What's wrong with pure CO2? It's always worked fine for me.

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 08:57:44 am »
What's wrong with pure CO2? It's always worked fine for me.

Nothing.  :)  I've run with straight CO2 for years, and I continue to use it for regular beers.  In a home setup with short beer lines, there is no need for blends to serve most styles.  But now I have a couple of restrictor faucets, and I want to start using nitro pours, so I need the beer gas.