Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New to all grain. Need help with set up  (Read 10639 times)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: New to all grain. Need help with set up
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 10:48:39 am »
If you want to build up over time, start off by doing extract with full boils. Get a 10 gallon pot, ball valve, burner, and chiller. Then add a mash tun a little later.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 10:54:09 am »
Focus on the process (cleaning, sanitation, fresh ingredients, water profiles, pH, mash temps, yeast starter, fermentation temps) and not the equipment.

This is what every new brewer needs to hear.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 12:40:29 pm »
+1 for fermentation temp control. My best (award winning) beers have come from wort produced with a Gott Cooler, an aluminum pot (that doesn't even have a valve), and a focused, practical, RDWHAHB mindset.

The trick was the two stage controller with a chest freezer and heat belt. There are plenty of good threads to explain the specifics - but the money spent on these items yielded SIGNIFICANTLY more return than any pump, pot, or shiny automatic widget (and this coming from a Controls Engineer!).

I made my own immersion chiller from 1/2" copper when I started going > 5 gal batches - 'bout as fancy as I get.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline GolfBum

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lakewood, CO
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 03:43:54 pm »
Thanks for all the info guys! I have been brewing a little while with extract and grains. Just moving into a place with more room for me to store my equipment. I use a bucket of water right now to keep fermentation temps constent. It works for now. The place I am moving into will have an extra full size fridge and my girlfriend has said it's dedicated to beer and drinks. So I have that to play with.

But after reading I will stick to 5 gallon batches but will upgrade to a bigger pot to go full boil. And I will pick up a cooler for mashing. One thing I want to get though is a turkey fryer and brew outside. Anyone have useful info about those? I've seen them at the LHBS but don't know about pricing on those.

I can't wait to finally get some money saved up to start brewing all grain and have full control over my beer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2012, 03:46:36 pm »
I think I paid between $50-75 for my setup at a hardware store.  Included a burner/stand and a 7-7.5 gal. AL pot which I still use.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline GolfBum

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lakewood, CO
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2012, 03:57:15 pm »
I think I paid between $50-75 for my setup at a hardware store.  Included a burner/stand and a 7-7.5 gal. AL pot which I still use.

Thanks, looks like I'll be doing all grain sooner than I thought. making a mortgage payment and a rent payment at the same time for a month will slow it down a bit. Gives me time to think about my first all grain recipe.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2012, 04:00:54 pm »
Thanks for all the info guys! I have been brewing a little while with extract and grains. Just moving into a place with more room for me to store my equipment. I use a bucket of water right now to keep fermentation temps constent. It works for now. The place I am moving into will have an extra full size fridge and my girlfriend has said it's dedicated to beer and drinks. So I have that to play with.

But after reading I will stick to 5 gallon batches but will upgrade to a bigger pot to go full boil. And I will pick up a cooler for mashing. One thing I want to get though is a turkey fryer and brew outside. Anyone have useful info about those? I've seen them at the LHBS but don't know about pricing on those.

I can't wait to finally get some money saved up to start brewing all grain and have full control over my beer.

Check out the major sporting goods stores, like Dicks, Academy, etc.  I bought a high pressure burner, alone, for under $20.

Offline veldy

• Cellarman
New to all grain. Need help with set up
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2012, 07:57:20 pm »
So I just bought a place with plenty of space to start all grain brewing. I have read a lot of articles and looked at many different set ups but want to know what I would need for the basics. As much as I would like something badass and tricked out I just want something that will allow me more control of my beer.

I have been brewing extract with specialty grains in my apartment for almost a year now and while the beer taste great I would like to take the next step into this obsession.

Even if you just show me a link to a good site with information or your own set up that would be awesome. And about how much do you think it would cost to get a "starter" set up that I can upgrade easily?

Thanks a bunch.

I second the link to Denny's site.  Also consider John Palmer's site.  http://howtobrew.com/section3/index.html

Offline greyghost

• 1st Kit
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2012, 11:49:58 pm »
Nobody has said anything about the Brew In A Bag method. It works very well and is easy and cheap way to do all grain. http://biabrewer.info/

Offline stadelman

• Cellarman
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2012, 08:00:17 am »
I just recently wrote a post that takes you from stovetop extract to all grain outside, using current deals, for $191 shipped...
http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2012/05/from-stove-top-extract-to-all-grain.html

So I just bought a place with plenty of space to start all grain brewing. I have read a lot of articles and looked at many different set ups but want to know what I would need for the basics. As much as I would like something badass and tricked out I just want something that will allow me more control of my beer.

I have been brewing extract with specialty grains in my apartment for almost a year now and while the beer taste great I would like to take the next step into this obsession.

Even if you just show me a link to a good site with information or your own set up that would be awesome. And about how much do you think it would cost to get a "starter" set up that I can upgrade easily?

Thanks a bunch.

Offline GolfBum

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lakewood, CO
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2012, 08:08:45 am »
I just recently wrote a post that takes you from stovetop extract to all grain outside, using current deals, for $191 shipped...
http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2012/05/from-stove-top-extract-to-all-grain.html

That is a very helpful writeup. 200 ain't bad either. So that tube screen goes inside the mash tun and keeps the grain out of the wort?

Offline stadelman

• Cellarman
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2012, 08:10:20 am »
Yep.  It screws into the back of the bulkhead.

Offline GolfBum

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lakewood, CO
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2012, 10:26:22 am »

With this would I still need a false bottom? I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to have both but wondering if just the hose would be good enough.

Offline stadelman

• Cellarman
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2012, 10:32:48 am »
No.  It's either a screen or a false bottom.  You don't need both.

With this would I still need a false bottom? I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to have both but wondering if just the hose would be good enough.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2012, 01:00:20 pm »
Pay a trip to YouTube as well.  There are a ton of do-it-yourself videos.  The more you research, the more one particular set-up will make sense to you. 

Dave
Dave Zach