Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Leftover Grains and Lots of Hops!! IPA recipe ideas?  (Read 4658 times)

Offline cwilly006

• Cellarman
Leftover Grains and Lots of Hops!! IPA recipe ideas?
« on: May 09, 2012, 01:51:07 pm »
Hey guys,

I am trying to figure out my next brew which will most likely be after my Pliny the Elder kit and before my DFH 90 Minute Clone.  I just ordered my malt extract but I had a lot of grains left over so I decided not to order any specialty grains. I am trying to formulate a good reciped but I wanted to come in here and find out what you guys would do with the ingredients I have.  I am looking for a really good and hoppy IPA. 
Here are the ingredients I currently have:

5OZ Simcoe Pellet Hops
21.5OZ Amarillo Pellet Hops
28OZ Columbus

1LB Crystal 15L
8OZ CaraVienne Malt
12OZ Honey Malt
5OZ Crystal 40L
5OZ Carapils Malt
8OZ Chocolate Malt
8OZ Crystal 60L

5LBS Light LME
3LBS Briess Extra Light DME

Any opinions or recipes would be greatly appreciated!!

Chase
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 02:25:57 pm by cwilly006 »
Primary: Hoppy Red Ale
Primary II: Hoppit IIPA
Secondary: DFH 90 Minute Clone
Bottled: Summer Wheat IPA, Pliny the Elder, Brown Bear IIBA, Sunny Sierra Blonde Ale
On Deck: Barkeater Brown Ale
Finished: Columbus IPA (Drank) Irish Red Ale (Drank) Gnaria IIPA (First Recipe), Citra IPA(Drank), GRK Ale (Drank)

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
Re: Leftover Grains and Lots of Hops!! IPA recipe ideas?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 01:55:01 pm »
How bout a hoppy brown ale?

you could utitlize the chocolate, carapils, some crystal and caravienne with the LME and DME as the base.

Bitter with the columbus

then do any combination of simcoe, amarillo, and columbus @ 20,15,10,5,0
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline cwilly006

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 02:04:50 pm »
How bout a hoppy brown ale?

you could utitlize the chocolate, carapils, some crystal and caravienne with the LME and DME as the base.

Bitter with the columbus

then do any combination of simcoe, amarillo, and columbus @ 20,15,10,5,0

I really like this idea!!  I am going to start playing around with recipes right now!!  I have never brewed a brown ale so I am trying to figure out what to do.  How would you have the grain bill?

Chase
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 02:12:29 pm by cwilly006 »
Bottled: Summer Wheat IPA, Pliny the Elder, Brown Bear IIBA, Sunny Sierra Blonde Ale
Finished: Columbus IPA (Drank) Irish Red Ale (Drank) Gnaria IIPA (First Recipe), Citra IPA(Drank), GRK Ale (Drank)

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 02:25:09 pm »
Using what you have there

All 8 lbs of your extract

8 oz Chocolate
8 oz Caravienne
8 oz Crystal 60
4 oz Carapils
1 lb Crystal 15

Shoot for 60 IBU's or so

Its a wide array of crystal....should be pretty complex. Janets Brown has 1.25lbs of Carapils and 1.25 lbs of Crystal 40 and its an amazing beer. So its sorta loosely based on that.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline cwilly006

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 03:02:27 pm »

8 oz Chocolate
8 oz Caravienne
8 oz Crystal 60
4 oz Carapils
1 lb Crystal 15

Shoot for 60 IBU's or so

Its a wide array of crystal....should be pretty complex. Janets Brown has 1.25lbs of Carapils and 1.25 lbs of Crystal 40 and its an amazing beer. So its sorta loosely based on that.

I put this grain bill in Hopville.  It calculated to be 1.082 OG and 1.021 FG which seem a little high for this style.  Is that Ok considering how much hoppier this is going to be than a regular American Brown Ale.  I was also thinking the extracts are going to ferment out further than that.

Offline cwilly006

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 03:48:24 pm »
Here is what I just came up with for the hop schedule:

Boil 60 mins 1.0 Columbus (Tomahawk) 
Boil 20 mins 0.2 Amarillo
Boil 20 mins 0.1 Columbus (Tomahawk)
Boil 20 mins 0.4 Simcoe
Boil 15 mins 0.2 Amarillo 
Boil 15 mins 0.1 Columbus (Tomahawk)
Boil 15 mins 0.4 Simcoe
Boil 10 mins 0.2 Amarillo
Boil 10 mins 0.1 Columbus (Tomahawk)
Boil 10 mins 0.4 Simcoe
Boil 5 mins 0.2 Amarillo
Boil 5 mins 0.1 Columbus (Tomahawk)
Boil 5 mins 0.4 Simcoe
Boil 1 min 0.2 Amarillo
Boil 1 min 0.1 Columbus (Tomahawk)
Boil 1 min 0.5 Simcoe

I may add some dry hops in there as well.  It calculates out to 65.5IBU's.

Chase

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 03:49:20 pm »

8 oz Chocolate
8 oz Caravienne
8 oz Crystal 60
4 oz Carapils
1 lb Crystal 15

Shoot for 60 IBU's or so

I put this grain bill in Hopville.  It calculated to be 1.082 OG and 1.021 FG which seem a little high for this style.  Is that Ok considering how much hoppier this is going to be than a regular American Brown Ale.  I was also thinking the extracts are going to ferment out further than that.

I wouldn't expect it to ferment out much more than that. Extract has a tendency to end a little high anyway and add in all that crystal...
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline cwilly006

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 03:56:07 pm »

8 oz Chocolate
8 oz Caravienne
8 oz Crystal 60
4 oz Carapils
1 lb Crystal 15

Shoot for 60 IBU's or so

I wouldn't expect it to ferment out much more than that. Extract has a tendency to end a little high anyway and add in all that crystal...

Weird someone was telling me that the Briess DME ferments out really well.  Anyways how would you set up this recipe?

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 05:54:57 pm »
I may have steered you wrong on the amount of Crystal, wasnt home to check my copy of Brewing Classic Styles for Janets Brown and looked it up on the internet.

It should be only .5 lb of Crystal and 1.25 lbs of Carapils

So for your purposes:

Maybe just 4 oz of Carapils, 8 oz of Crystal 60, and 8 oz of Caravienne. Along with the 8 oz of Chocolate.

Jason

Offline cwilly006

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 07:04:23 pm »

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 09:23:27 am »

8 oz Chocolate
8 oz Caravienne
8 oz Crystal 60
4 oz Carapils
1 lb Crystal 15

Shoot for 60 IBU's or so

Weird someone was telling me that the Briess DME ferments out really well.  Anyways how would you set up this recipe?

I think the recipe is fine, and it might go lower than 1.022, but with all those hops, even if it doesn't I think you'll be fine.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce