Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bleach in bottles  (Read 2510 times)

Offline iamjamesp

• 1st Kit
Bleach in bottles
« on: February 28, 2010, 12:41:16 pm »
Hello, on a Thursday I placed my bottles (already cleaned of labels and glue) in a 18 gallon container and filled with water and bleach (ratio of 4 gal to 1 oz).  I had to bottle Saturday night, b/c i was leaving on a trip Sunday morning.  Well on Sat at 10pm, thought no problem, I'll take em out rinse, bottle and be on my way... ???  I took the bottles out and it felt like sandpaper or an etching on the outside of most of the bottles.  After rubbing one for a few moments, it came off in the form of whitish pasty stuff.  I assume this has to do with the chlorine.  It was on the inside as well. 
Having to still travel, no bottle brush, and only a few options I rinsed each one, then filled each with hot water, let soak for 10 minutes each, vigoruesly shook, then emptied.  I know it didn't remove all of the stuff and could even see a bit of white in the neck, and soaking alone in hot water did not remove the stuff from the outside so it probably didn't do much for the inside.  So....having had to bottle since, will there be a potential health risk from drinking these? Anyone else ever have this?  Is it indeed chlorine drying on the bottles (the bottles were still plenty below the water/bleach line)?  Beer is safe to drink? 
Thanks indeed!

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Bleach in bottles
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 12:44:12 pm »
What's your water's mineral levels like.

A rough guess would be the bleach changed you pH enough to precipitate out a bunch of material.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 05:38:11 am »
What's your water's mineral levels like.

A rough guess would be the bleach changed you pH enough to precipitate out a bunch of material.

+1
Probably dissolved bicarbonate that's now insoluble carbonate.  Over time, that will likely dissolve back into your beer, which is better buffered.  Will it impart flavor?  Possibly, but I'd wait & see (I wouldn't be afraid to drink it when it's ready).
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 10:00:57 pm »
I prefer ammonia-based products to soak and remove labels. Leaving the bottles too long in a bath results in a PITA situation.

How about a vinegar solution to help remove the sediment next time?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Bigfundan

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 03:57:37 pm »
I think the bleach should take all the nasty malt and hop flavors out of the beer.  The wildflower Clorox tastes really good in a Hefe Weizen. :D

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 04:36:54 pm »
A good reason to switch to the contact & no rinse sanitzers like Star-San or Iodaphor.
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC