Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: FauxPils Faceoff  (Read 28011 times)

Offline redzim

• Brewer
Re: FauxPils Faceoff
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 11:24:37 am »
I'm not a judge, but definitely a Pils connoisseur; I brew a lot of lagers and have done about 8 decoction brews in the last 6 months. Spent over 6 months in Germany over the last few years so I think my palate is "up-to-date" with the old country.   Possibly the only person on this board who's had my beers is Hopfenundmalz, you could PM him for a reference. I'd be happy to send you some of my brews in return.

-red

PS: I've entered enough competitions so I know what the score sheets are and how to fill them out...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 11:26:44 am by redzim »

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 12:07:06 pm »
I decided I couldn't fairly decide which of the non-judges I should include, so I assigned you a number based on the order you replied to the thread, then used a random number generator.

I've updated the OP to show the judges. The non-judge selections are Don, Jason, Red, and Garc.

I'll keep you all posted as progress develops. Right now I'm anticipating mailing the beers out sometimes in mid June, so I'll need a mailing address from each of you at some point before then, but no rush.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 12:47:26 pm »
I decided I couldn't fairly decide which of the non-judges I should include, so I assigned you a number based on the order you replied to the thread, then used a random number generator.

I've updated the OP to show the judges. The non-judge selections are Don, Jason, Red, and Garc.

I'll keep you all posted as progress develops. Right now I'm anticipating mailing the beers out sometimes in mid June, so I'll need a mailing address from each of you at some point before then, but no rush.

Thanks, looking forward to it.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 01:35:06 pm »
Thanks Diane,
There is an article in it on no-sparge brewing by Louis Bonham that may help Nateo with his project.  I believe he compared no-sparge to decoction brews.

I would be happy to help.

BJCP National judge, sometime lager brewer.  Big beer lover.

Anyone have a copy from this?  http://www.brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue6.4/index.html

I have that issue, what do you need?
Brew on

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012, 01:35:52 pm »

Thanks, looking forward to it.

Me too.  sent you my info in private message.  thanks for letting me participate.
Don AHA member

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2012, 04:13:28 pm »
Thanks Diane,
There is an article in it on no-sparge brewing by Louis Bonham that may help Nateo with his project.  I believe he compared no-sparge to decoction brews.

I would be happy to help.

BJCP National judge, sometime lager brewer.  Big beer lover.

Anyone have a copy from this?  http://www.brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue6.4/index.html

I have that issue, what do you need?

He did a RIMS vs. decoction article that I've got scanned in, but I don't recall a no sparge vs. decoction article.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2012, 05:30:16 am »

Thanks Nateo. Happy to help out.  Just PM me when you're ready to ship and I'll get you my address.

-red

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2012, 07:04:11 am »
thanks, happy to be a part of the experiment!

info sent.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2012, 09:30:23 am »
Thanks for including me, I will send my address over when you are getting ready to ship.

Offline bwana

• Cellarman
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2012, 09:46:15 am »
I brew alot of lagers and am very interested in your results. I only do infusion mashes for my beer. I have wondered if the extra work of doing decoction mashes is worth the effort.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2012, 02:12:10 pm »
I'll be bottling these soon, maybe today. If you haven't sent me your address, I'll need that within the next couple weeks. I may just ship out one bottle of each, instead of three total. How important do you guys think triangle tasting is?

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2012, 08:17:43 am »
Triangle tasting would be better. 

I think I may have some 3-bottle wine boxes.  I will check.  I could ship you 3 homebrews in one.

Cheers
Brew on

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2012, 08:41:04 am »
i think triangle tasting is important if you are going to compare two beers side by side.  but with one beer alone going to several of us giving good descriptions, you will probably get the info/feedback you are looking for. it is a lot easier to ship one than three so that should do.  I think i sent you my info in a pm previously but if you didn't get it let me know.  I would also like to send a beer out to you for some feedback.
Don AHA member

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2012, 09:53:37 am »
Ok, I'll keep the triangle test. Each of you will receive a total of three bottles, randomly selected, of unique combinations of bottles marked with circles, triangles, squares, or stars.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2012, 10:06:43 am »
ha. i thought i was talking you out of the three.
also Tom, Nateo this had me thinking about sending beer on occasion to 3 or 4 of us, just to get good documented feedback.  better than having friends say oh that is good, and less hassle than sending to comps.  I am not talking often, but i could see myself forwarding 6-12 a year.  I think this would be worthwhile especially since I brew off style some and make my own specialty grains.  Kind of like a local brew club but i think the feedback would be better.  Interested?
Don AHA member