Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: FauxPils Faceoff  (Read 27993 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: FauxPils Faceoff
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2012, 10:30:06 am »
Ok, I'll keep the triangle test. Each of you will receive a total of three bottles, randomly selected, of unique combinations of bottles marked with circles, triangles, squares, or stars.
I sent you my address yesterday.  I will most likely sit down with another judge and fill out bjcp score sheets on them.  I will be happy to send you some of my beer back in return.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2012, 11:00:07 am »
I will most likely sit down with another judge and fill out bjcp score sheets on them.  I will be happy to send you some of my beer back in return.

Same here.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2012, 12:15:12 pm »
also Tom, Nateo this had me thinking about sending beer on occasion to 3 or 4 of us, just to get good documented feedback.  better than having friends say oh that is good, and less hassle than sending to comps.  I am not talking often, but i could see myself forwarding 6-12 a year.  I think this would be worthwhile especially since I brew off style some and make my own specialty grains.  Kind of like a local brew club but i think the feedback would be better.  Interested?

Yeah I'd be interested in that. I only wanted a large number of people and triangle tasting on this trial, since it's basically a theological inquiry, so I wanted to get the best data possible.

I've only entered one local competition, but I didn't find it particularly helpful, except that it convinced me to cut back the amount of coriander I was using in my wits. The local brew club is good for general feedback, but I haven't found it good for detailed analysis. It's interesting to see which beers disappear quickly, and which ones are left over at the end of the meeting.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2012, 12:22:40 pm »
OK, I've got addresses from everyone except Ron, you slacker. I'll have my address on the return label on the boxes I send out, for those of you who've indicated you'll be sending beer back.

One other thing I think would be helpful on the feedback is if you could write a bit about your bias going into the study (in what ways you expect the beers to differ, if any). Feel free to play "guess the recipe" too if you want.

Once I've received all the feedback, I'll post my detailed brewing notes and recipes. I'll try to break the comments down by frequency of descriptors and phrases, similar to this: http://traffic.libsyn.com/basicbrewing/KYBelgianYeastExperiment.pdf

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2012, 01:33:20 pm »
I know at least one of you are going to be gone for the NHC, so I'll wait to ship the beer out until afterwards, so I'm tentatively shooting for a June 25th delivery, maybe a little after. Please let me know if that doesn't work for any of you. 

As for the results, feel free to email them to my gmail account, or send as a private message on here.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
FauxPils Faceoff
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2012, 02:02:41 pm »
That date's fine with me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2012, 09:17:33 am »
that date works for me also!
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2012, 08:09:07 pm »
Got swamped with work and didn't get a chance to mail them out last week. Should be able to run into town within the next few days, so some of you could see them by the end of the week.

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2012, 08:41:00 am »
Sounds great, Ill be on the lookout. Can you send me your address as well? Im getting some brews bottled up this weekend that I will send ya.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2012, 05:19:46 pm »
Didn't make it to UPS yesterday, but got there today. Looks like most of them will arrive on Monday, maybe Tuesday.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2012, 05:37:08 pm »
can't wait.
also expect to get a few of mine. would like honest opinion, feedback as we talked about before. if anyone else willing to get a few and provide good feedback let me know
Don AHA member

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2012, 05:45:55 pm »
One of the things I hate about homebrew club tastings is you can't get very detailed, or even very honest feedback. I expect you guys to be honest, brutally if necessary. I prefer constructive criticism, but sugar-coating won't help me make better beer. Unless it's some sort of Skittle-brau.

I think I've contacted all of you who were interested in sending beers back my way, but if I missed you, just use my return address on the packages. It's a commercial address so that should save a little bit on shipping.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 05:48:54 pm by nateo »

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2012, 05:39:34 am »
Looking forward to the beers, and will be bottling some of mine this weekend to send back to you....

Just to clarify, I may have missed this point, but what BJCP category are these Pilsners? German or Bohemian? or CAP?

-red

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2012, 08:27:37 am »
I don't think they're a great example of any particular BJCP style. I hesitate to call it something because I don't want to unduly influence your expectations. I'm most interested in comparing and contrasting the different mashing methods, and not in a score, or brewing to style, per se. Do you guys think a defined style is necessary for what we're doing?

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2012, 08:30:47 am »
I don't think they're a great example of any particular BJCP style. I hesitate to call it something because I don't want to unduly influence your expectations. I'm most interested in comparing and contrasting the different mashing methods, and not in a score, or brewing to style, per se. Do you guys think a defined style is necessary for what we're doing?

I'm cool with that... No style necessary... I'll just compare the samples to each other...

-red