Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Aging temp  (Read 1983 times)

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
Aging temp
« on: May 01, 2012, 07:51:57 pm »
I've got a Baltic porter recipe planned that will ferment around 62F using San Fran lager yeast.  I had planned on aging it 2-3 months. What is a good temp to do this at?

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: Aging temp
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 08:18:05 pm »
I've got a Baltic porter recipe planned that will ferment around 62F using San Fran lager yeast.  I had planned on aging it 2-3 months. What is a good temp to do this at?

Anything from 55 to 65 would probably be ideal.  The more important thing seems to be that whatever temperature you age at, that it be as constant as possible.
Joe

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 05:28:48 am »
Agree, cellar temps work best for a high gravity beer. If you can stand it try to age it for 6 months.

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 06:38:18 am »
I'd like to say I could wait 6 months but it's not likely.  I always seem to cut short times for aging or maturing my beer.  I guess I lack patience

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 06:50:41 am »
I'd like to say I could wait 6 months but it's not likely.  I always seem to cut short times for aging or maturing my beer.  I guess I lack patience

;)
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 07:33:39 am »

The way to get around this is to make a second batch.  This could allow you to cellar the beer for an extended time.  :) 
Ron Price

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 10:15:03 am »
The way to get around this is to make a second batch.  This could allow you to cellar the beer for an extended time.  :)

I just made back to back to back Impy Stout, Belgian Quad, & Wee Heavy - the "second batch" theory doesn't hold there :)

Actually, each of those was proceeded by a "starter" batch, so I really do have something to drink while waiting.
Joe