Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Summertime Wheat IPA Recipe Opinions?  (Read 5093 times)

Offline cwilly006

• Cellarman
Summertime Wheat IPA Recipe Opinions?
« on: May 01, 2012, 11:51:15 pm »
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to get some opinions on my Summertime Wheat IPA recipe I just ordered the ingredients for. 
Here it is:

http://hopville.com/recipe/1315853/american-ipa-recipes/summertime-wheat-ipa

6 LB Briess Bavarian Wheat DME
1 LB Briess Dry Extra Malt Light Extract   
8 OZ Caravienne Malt   
4 OZ Gambrinus Honey Malt
2 OZ   Crystal 20L   

60 mins 2.75 OZ Amarillo   
boil 60 mins 0.25 OZ Citra   
boil 15 mins 1.75   OZ Amarillo   
boil 15 mins 0.25 OZ Citra   
boil 5 mins   1.5 OZ Amarillo   
boil 5 mins 0.25 Citra   
boil 1 min 1.5 OZ Amarillo
boil 1 min 0.25 OZ Citra   
dry hop 8 days 1.5 Amarillo

I plan on fermenting this with Safale US-05.  It is somewhat modeled after a Gumballhead clone that I saw somewhere online.  Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Chase
Primary: Hoppy Red Ale
Primary II: Hoppit IIPA
Secondary: DFH 90 Minute Clone
Bottled: Summer Wheat IPA, Pliny the Elder, Brown Bear IIBA, Sunny Sierra Blonde Ale
On Deck: Barkeater Brown Ale
Finished: Columbus IPA (Drank) Irish Red Ale (Drank) Gnaria IIPA (First Recipe), Citra IPA(Drank), GRK Ale (Drank)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Summertime Wheat IPA Recipe Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 01:20:45 am »
Looks tasty!

Impressive hop schedule!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 05:24:24 am »
I think that looks great. My personal preference would be to go with 4-6 oz of cara vienne and drop the 2 oz of crystal 40 but what you have will make a nice beer, albeit on the sweeter side.

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 08:17:15 am »
I think that looks great. My personal preference would be to go with 4-6 oz of cara vienne and drop the 2 oz of crystal 40 but what you have will make a nice beer, albeit on the sweeter side.

+1

Maybe cut the honey malt down to 2 oz to make it a bit less sweet? But thats just me!
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline cwilly006

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 10:24:02 am »
Alright I have kept the CaraVienne at 8 OZ and the Honey Malt is now at 2 OZ and I dropped the crystal altogether.  Can't wait to brew this one but Pliny The Elder must come first!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 10:59:00 am by cwilly006 »
Bottled: Summer Wheat IPA, Pliny the Elder, Brown Bear IIBA, Sunny Sierra Blonde Ale
Finished: Columbus IPA (Drank) Irish Red Ale (Drank) Gnaria IIPA (First Recipe), Citra IPA(Drank), GRK Ale (Drank)

Offline andrew000141

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 11:39:08 am »
May i have some?
Fermenting:
Cherry melomel

In Kegs:
Saison
Irish Red
Thanksgiving Cider
Rye Pale Ale
IIPA
Ayinger Maibock clone
Moose drool clone

Bottles:
Mead

Keep your nose out of trouble and no trouble will come to you

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 11:47:39 am »
At 94 IBU's (if you can sense that high) you might want to leave it on the sweeter side to balance the hops. It's not a super strong beer either, but that Breiss extract ferments out pretty good and I think you might go a bit lower than 1.017- so I doubt that it'll be cloyingly sweet or syrupy.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline cwilly006

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 11:55:34 am »
At 94 IBU's (if you can sense that high) you might want to leave it on the sweeter side to balance the hops. It's not a super strong beer either, but that Breiss extract ferments out pretty good and I think you might go a bit lower than 1.017- so I doubt that it'll be cloyingly sweet or syrupy.

Yea that is kind of what I was thinking from the start.  What would you do to balance it out?

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 12:01:26 pm »
My first thought was "that's a lot hops for a wheat" but to each there own.  As euge said you may want to keep a bit of sweetness in there for balance.  Maybe 4oz. of Honey and no 40L or 2oz of each would give a good balance. 

Others with way more experience than I have already spoken so this just me talking.  8^)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline cwilly006

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 12:06:04 pm »
Alright I have upped the Honey Malt to 4 OZ to give it a little more balance.

Thanks A Lot Guys!!

Chase

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 12:06:08 pm »
My first thought was "that's a lot hops for a wheat" but to each there own.  As euge said you may want to keep a bit of sweetness in there for balance.  Maybe 4oz. of Honey and no 40L or 2oz of each would give a good balance. 

Others with way more experience than I have already spoken so this just me talking.  8^)

Paul

This is what I was saying originally, don't think you need to remove the crystal and drop the honey to 2 oz. Maybe just do 4 oz of honey malt, or 2 oz of each, or 4 oz of crystal.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 03:39:14 pm »

Paul

This is what I was saying originally, don't think you need to remove the crystal and drop the honey to 2 oz. Maybe just do 4 oz of honey malt, or 2 oz of each, or 4 oz of crystal.

Great minds, man.  Great minds.   ;)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline cwilly006

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 07:08:02 pm »
4oz of honey malt seems best to me as I wanted a hint of honey without using honey.  Who knows if I will be able to taste it but we shall see...

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 10:15:29 am »
Please do post or PM me as to how it comes out.  It looks intriguingly delicious to me, but I'm no expoit.

Offline cwilly006

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 01:03:44 pm »
I will be posting a little brew day thread over in Extract brewing so keep your eye out.  Ended up brewing yesterday and everything went real well